How to update the summary field via JIRA Automation?

Paul Jentzsch February 14, 2022

Hi there,

we have 2 different user groups in our JIRA.

Our Service Desk Team should have the possibility to recognize at first sight if the created Issue is created by a user from Group 1 or 2. For example via the issue summary

So my idea was to user JIRA Automation. It checks if the User is in Group 1 or 2. And then it should update the issue summary like this. " -groupname- {{issue.summary}}" 

But i just cant manage to make it work, that the groupname just gets added to the present summary.

Any of you having an idea, what i am doing wrong?

2 answers

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2022

Hi @Paul Jentzsch 

Before editing the Issue, add the Fetch Issue Data Action. It will work

Fetch.png

Let me know

Thanks,
Pramodh

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2022

Hi @Paul Jentzsch 

For a question like this on automation rules, please consider posting images of your complete rule and the audit log, with details.  That will provide context for the community to offer suggestions.  Thanks!

Next, I recommend putting the group name in another field, such as either a component or a label value.  That will support your need and allow better reporting...and reduce churn in changing the summary information.

Finally, what @Pramodh M suggests for adding a Re-fetch action after the trigger can help if you are noticing that the summary is getting cleared by your edit to add the group.  This occurs if the rule runs too quickly after the issue is created and so the data is not yet available to use.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer