How to turn off new Jira issue editor markdown rendering

Rich Andrews February 15, 2019

Is there a way to turn-off the new Jira combined issue editor markdown rendering while editing?  The whole idea of markdown strategies are to be able to enter it not rendered for the purpose of entry efficiency, compacted whitespace and all of the things that people who want to get things done need.

The current on-the-fly rendering behavior is too jumpy, white-spacey and not-wrappy enough to make its use efficient when entering numerous stories, entering and updating contemporaneous notes and doing other things that should be two or three second long tasks at best.

Further, the click on the view to edit behavior really misses the desired cursor entry point to edit.  That is, the click to edit  location has little to do with the actual edit location.

I don't want to continue switching to the 'old-version'.  There is little wrong with the new version other than it doing useless rendering while editing. 

Maybe I'm missing a marketplace app or plugin to solve this?

3 answers

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2019

Hello Rich,

Thank you a lot for your feedback regarding the markdown rendering on the new issue view.

Please, feel free to send this feedback directly to our product managers by using the feedback link of the new issue view.

About your request, It is possible to deactivate the markdown rendering doing the same steps that deactivate the old view Markup Wiki rendering:

- Navigate to your project > Project settings > Fields > Actions > Edit Fields

- Find the field you would like to change > Click on Renderers 

- Change it to the default text renderer

Although the formatting option can keep appearing (see JRACLOUD-70085), the format will not work for the field.

Let me know if you still have any questions, Rich.

Rich Andrews February 15, 2019

Hello Petterson, thanks for the response.

I'm afraid the renderers apply to only display.

For example, when 'default text renderer' is selected for the description field, that description field will display the text but with the formatting markup per JRACLOUD-70085. 

The renderers are great - for viewing.  So we don't wish to turn them off.

The desire is for the on-the-fly conversion of markdown code to be able to be turned off and only rendered on view.

If the 'default text renderer' is applied to the description field, and the field is edited, it appear that the markdown is on the fly converted to a rendered format in the editor widget.

That is to say, regardless the renderer, it seems the field will still do unexpected things like convert ``` to a formatted code field with a language type dropdown.

The expectation of markdown users is  that ``` does nothing and permits ``` to be typed to close the code block.   Markdown users are used to balancing the markdown and then expanding the enclosed content.  For example, type `````` and then back the cursor into the middle of that block and continue editing.  Of course that is completely picayune complaint.   But for the remainder of the on the fly rendered expansion of the markup gobbles up too much whitespace and makes the editing session quite burdensome.

Thanks for the tip, and I'll poke a round a bit more with my new-found confidence with field settings. 

Like # people like this
Stephen Prather August 18, 2023

Basically, do it the way Stack does it. They have already nailed it for you. Copy/paste.

0 votes
Michael Handschuh November 17, 2019

This is really similar to what I just posted, but slightly different. I would LOVE to disable to auto-render, but when I'm creating new issues, it doesn't even auto-render and then it doesn't even render after the issue is created:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/New-Issue-Modal-Manually-Typed-Markdown-Doesn-t-Render-Following/qaq-p/1230039

0 votes
Scott Saccone February 25, 2019

My problem with the new Jira view was that most punctuation was escaped making a lot of comments unreadable. I seem to have fixed it by setting the comment renderer from "Default Text Renderer" to "Wiki Style Renderer".

Suggest an answer