How to track tickets added to a future sprint

Milad Hussain June 7, 2022

Hi

We plan up to six sprints in advance. We are currently on Sprint 40 and already have work lined up for Sprint 41 to Sprint 45. our sprints are 2 weeks.

We have a cut-off date a week before a sprint starts, after this cut-off date, no one is allowed to add or remove any tickets to this sprint.

Is there a way to track/filter if any tickets are added/removed after the cut off date from an inactive Sprint (Sprint to start in a week's time).

We use createdDate >= "2022-00-00 00:00" ORDER BY created DESC which displays tickets created after a certain date.

However, what we need is to be able to track not just tickets created but rather Added or Removed from an inactive sprint.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2022

Hi @Milad Hussain 

First things first...as your teams have modified how the Scrum Framework describes Sprint Planning, I would expect this to be very "noisy" reporting.  For example, let's say something happens in the current sprint, leading to adjustments at the next planning.  Those changes would show up in your report even though they are an expected benefit of capacity-based, just-in-time planning for emerging stakeholder needs.

I recommend the team discuss with your scrum master/coaches what problem you are trying to solve by using this approach, and consider how to experiment and improve.

Regarding the reporting you asked about, the out-of-the-box JQL cannot support that.  You can determine that a sprint is in futureSprints(), but you would need other mechanisms to detect when the change occurred, such as with a marketplace addon or use of automation rules with triggers.  Again, I suspect this report would be noisy and lead to a lot of extra re-planning for the future sprints.

Kind regards,
Bill

Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2022

I completely agree with Bill here.  Your team might be missing the true value of being "agile" and working in sprints if you are pre-planning your sprints.  The whole point is to reflect, learn, and pivot.  If you already have your project plan in 3 months worth of sprints, then your team is essentially working in a very waterfall way.

But, to answer your question, I don't think anything is built into Jira that would allow you to see what you seek.  Jira wasn't designed to be work the way you described.  You may be able to get away using something like Scriptrunner.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events