How to sum up sub tasks to total story using original hours estimates

Hizkeel Khan April 21, 2022

Hello,

I want to sum the sub-tasks to total story. let me explain this:

I have created one story by the name of Story 1 and under that story 1, I have created two sub-tasks like 1.1 and 1.2. The Estimation format I'm using is Original Hours Estimates. What I want is that if my subtask 1.2 is estimated at 2h and 1.2 at 3h so the story should be automatically added to 5h and whenever I add any subtask with estimates, the parent should be get automatically updated.   

I have looked for some solution and it works if the estimation format is Story Point but I'm using original hours estimates format. 

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated. Thanks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2022

Hello @Hizkeel Khan 

Welcome to the community.

Can you show us what you have tried, and tell us where and how that is failing?

Hizkeel Khan April 21, 2022

Hey @Trudy Claspill - Thank you for your reply. I was able to solve the problem and achieve what I was looking for. This is what I did. 

sub-tasks sum.png

Now, whenever I create a new sub-task and assign original hours, the parent issues get updated automatically. 

uttam kumar bhatta August 8, 2022

Is it giving correct sum up at parent issue level?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Yes, it will.

In a story 2 subtasks are there. I am giving original estimates for task1 as 7 hr and other tasks as 2d 5 hr. I am expecting story's original estimate field should be updated with 3d 4 hr or equivalent time in hours. However it is giving me in Week or sometimes in years. I am using the rule as shown below. can you please help on this? 

Where is the formula going wrong?

subtaskssum.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Why are you dividing the numbers by 60?

All the duration fields hold the same type of number (milliseconds) so there's no need to try to convert to minutes or hours.

I removed and tried, still no luck. If anyone has working rule, can you pls share?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

@uttam kumar bhatta 

What are you global settings for Time Tracking?

These can be managed by a Jira Administrator by going to the gear icon and selecting Issues > Time Tracking.

Can you provide details of actual time in issues that are being summed up and the actual value you get from the automation?

uttam kumar bhatta August 9, 2022

Thanks @Trudy Claspill , I resolved it.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2022

@uttam kumar bhatta 

Can you post your solution so that others may benefit from what you learned?

Neeraj Patil November 22, 2022

Hey guys,

I have a similar requirement (Adding up Original estimates of Sub-tasks to Story)

I tried the same rule posted here.  But it is not reflecting.

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 1.44.06 PM.png

Any help appreciated.

I tried the below rule too: 

{{issue.subtasks.Original estimate.sum}} 

Regards,

Neeraj

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2022

@Neeraj Patil 

What do you mean by "it is not reflecting"?

Is the rule getting executed? Check the Audit Log to confirm that the rule is getting executed.

If the rule is getting executed, what messages are being shown in the Audit Log for the execution?

What are the values in your subtasks?

What value is being set in the parent?

Suggest an answer