How to show issue status on backlog

Luca Kleijweg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 27, 2022

Hi,

I'm looking to add the status of an issue in the backlog like this: 

Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 11.02.48.png

I have tried a lot of settings, but i cannot seem to get it right. This is my current view of issues on the backlog:

Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 11.04.27.png

Could someone instruct me how to do it please?

Thanks! 

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2022

Hello @Luca Kleijweg 

Welcome to the community.

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Are you working with a Kanban board or a Scrum board?

Based on my review, the Status of the issue is automatically displayed (as you show in your image) only when you are looking at the Backlog screen for a Team Managed project's board.

If you are working with a Company Managed project, you can add the Status field to the card display by going to ... button for the board (upper right corner), selecting Board Settings, then selecting Card Layout. From there you can specify up to 3 fields to add to the card display on the Backlog screen, and three separate fields to display on the cards in the Board screen. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 10.06.32 AM.png

Fields added in that manner will be displayed on the left side of the card, not the right side.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 10.06.47 AM.png

Luca Kleijweg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 29, 2022

Hi Trudy,

I am in a company managed project and a scrum board. 

I used to have the view you describe with the status displayed on the card. But this takes up too much space in my opinion since it doubles the ticket in height. Also i like the ability to be able to change the status on the backlog view directly. 

Is there any way to achieve this on a scrum board?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2022

Hello Luca,

No, there is not. That functionality is not available for Company Managed projects.

There is a change request you can vote on for being able to customize the default data fields displayed on cards.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16556

There might also be a change request about allowing the status to be changed from the card, similar to the Team Managed project functionality, but I'm not sure.

Like Renan Perceguetti likes this
Renan Perceguetti
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 5, 2022

Thanks @Trudy Claspill for the explanation. I have a similar need and was able to enable the left side Status using the "Card Layout" menu. The only problem the space between tasks becomes much larger and doesn't help visualization. Is there a way to have the status in the right side as priority and other symbols?

Example.png

Thanks Renan. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

@Renan Perceguetti 

Welcome to the community.

As I stated in my last response on Sept. 29, no, there is not, but you can vote on the change request that I linked.

Muhammad Azmi Adhani October 9, 2023

Hi, @Trudy ClaspillMine is company-managed project but got status dropdown on backlog issues. But when I tried to create company-managed project on other account the status dropdown is not available on company-managed. I wonder what's the difference between my two accounts.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 17.02.50.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2023

@Muhammad Azmi Adhani 

The difference is likely based on the "Enhance my board and backlog" option available from the Board actions menu.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 6.00.24 PM.png

This changes available when this is enabled are relatively new feature, as described here.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Enhanced-Jira-board-and-backlog/ba-p/2331946

In some instances this may already be rolled out as permanently enabled, while in other instances you may still have the option to turn it on or off. The permanent enablement is supposed to be rolled out near Oct. 25.

Like # people like this
Muhammad Azmi Adhani October 11, 2023

Thank you for sharing this information about the 'Enhance my board and backlog' option. I was excited to learn about this feature, but unfortunately, I haven't seen the option available in my Jira instance yet. It's good to know that it's a relatively new feature, and I hope it will be rolled out to all users soon. Looking forward to trying it out when it becomes available. Thanks again for the update!
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 05.39.45.png

0 votes
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2022

Hello @Luca Kleijweg ,
Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!!

To enable the Kanban backlog:

1. Go to the desired board and select Board > Configure.
  2. Click the Columns tab. 
    Please find the below screenshot for your reference.

For more details please have a look at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-columns-938845277.html#Configuringcolumns-enablingkanbanbacklog

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Mayur

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events