How to set the Issue Category field in Jira

Clayton Correia August 5, 2022

I'm having this issue. There is another question on it but it has an accepted answer that does not solve the problem. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/The-mysterious-quot-Category-quot-field-at-the-issue-level/qaq-p/2088328

Problem: There is a Category field in my Issues in Business Projects but it can not be interacted with.

When creating an issue there are no options I can select. In addition any text I enter is automatically cleared when I exit the input:

image (10).png

In the List feature, I can sort by Category but everything is just put in one "Uncategorized" group:

image (8).pngimage (9).png 

In Jira settings > Issues > Custom Fields it shows the Category field but it is Locked and the "type" is Unknown. I am the highest level admin for the product and then entire Jira application and yet I can make no changes to it.

image (11).png

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2022

Refer to this documentation for how to add values to the Category field for your Business project.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/categorize-items-in-your-list-view/#Add-a-category

Clayton Correia August 5, 2022

Well, I guess this works. It's very odd that you can only interact with this field in the list view interface. 

It feels like a bug that you can't add categories via the Issues creation/edit interface (or other places where that field shows up).

Like # people like this
Alexander Metlewicz September 16, 2022

@Trudy Claspill 

I am facing the same issue, and it does indeed seem like a bug...

My problem is that even this solution doesn't work for me.

I can type in a category and I get the option "*Test* (New category)" to add a new category, but when I press Enter or click on the suggested new category , it doesn't save it, it just turns blank again. Anyone facing the same issue? Solutions?

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 1.32.24 PM.png

After pressing Enter / clicking on the "new category" option, there is still no category added:Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 1.32.35 PM.png

Like Sarah Campbell Gates likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

@Alexander Metlewicz 

I suspect there has been an update to the functionality since I originally responded to this post. I don't believe that at that time the field displayed the "Add Category" option.

I see the same behavior as you now.

I recommend that you raise that issue directly with Atlassian Support.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Derrick L September 20, 2022

Was a ticket created? I am having the same issue.

Like # people like this
Daniel Bauch September 21, 2022

Same here 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

I recommended that @Alexander Metlewicz enter a ticket but anybody who is seeing this with a non-Free subscription should be able to contact Atlassian Support.

Please post back here if you do.

Arthur Forestier September 30, 2022

I am facing the same issue, which is pretty annoying because we used to work a lot with the 'Category' field for our projects.

Jim October 9, 2022

Any updates on this? Pretty frustrating.

Jan Rudert October 10, 2022

Same behaviour here... Categories are not saved

Like Petr Musil likes this
Petr Musil October 12, 2022

Same behavior here... cannot add any Category from List view as described in the help article, nor edit the field via Project settings as the field is "LOCKED"

any ETA to be fixed?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2022

Has anybody on this thread that has a paid subscription tried contacting Atlassian Support directly? I don't have a paid Cloud subscription so I am not able to open a case with Atlassian myself.

Jay Stansell October 13, 2022

I've logged as a bug JST-809796

Like vico likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2022

@Jay Stansell 

Is that a support case ID or a Jira issue ID? I'm not finding JST as a project key in Atlassian's issue tracking Jira instance, so I'm guessing that might be the ID for a support case that you opened.

Jay Stansell October 14, 2022

@Trudy Claspill  yes it was a support ID; however they've advised its connected to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-310

Nishi Wadhera March 5, 2023

The add category works now. 

• Add category field to list view using the + sign on top menu
  • In the list view, on a specific row, add the category name in the category field cell and press enter
  • It saves it and allows you to add another

Took good number of hours to get to this solution and with the help of the content above. Amazing how time consuming it is with category custom field being locked by jira toolkit and non editable in all other ways.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events