How to restrict editing of labels

Rathna January 10, 2018

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to know if there is a way to limit the edit feature of the Label field. The reason is to limit who can create Labels. If it is possible would like to know how to restrict it to just say Admins and Devs of the project.

Best,

Rathna.

2 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

It is not possible without an app. If you are using Jira Server, check out Label Manager for Jira.

Wolfgang Landes June 3, 2022

Thank for for suggesting our app. It is now also available on Cloud where it also allows to clean up (edit, merge, delte) Jira native 'Labels' field globally or on a project level, but also to create 'Label Manager' own custom field type that allow to predefine allowed labels globally or for each project.

Label Manager for Jira

This allows project admins to manage their the options themselves without help from global Jira admins. (Like components)

Also you can use the label as checklist by assigning traffic light colors indepent on each issue.

0 votes
Benjamin Weinheimer-Erben (mgm-tp)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

I just stumbled over the same issue.

I created a "custom label field" which will be filled in the parent issue and copied on creating a sub-tasks to the sub-task. Within the sub-task the given field should not be editable. So i created a view-screen and applied it to the sub-task. And now i see quite prominent a pencil next to the fields, so everyone knows they are editable in "inline edit mode".

Funny side note:
On the edit-screen the two fields are not shown.
And if i add them to the edit-screen the pencil disappear and only shows up if you hover over it with the mouse.

Does anyone have an idea why the label field behaves this way?
It seems to me it is a somehow not explainable exception as all other custom fields could be used as "view only" if you like.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2019

@Benjamin Weinheimer-Erben _mgm-tp_ I just checked on my instance and I do not see this behavior. Are you using Jira Server or Cloud? Did you change your screen scheme so it is using the screen that does not have the custom label field for Edit Issue operations?

Hanna Pososhenko November 27, 2019

@Mikael Sandberg 

I have the same issue. (Jira Cloud)

I removed the custom label field from the edit-screen. Please, see the attachment.

This problem only with Label type fields.

forcommunitit LABEL.PNG

Suggest an answer