How to remove team member from JIRA SOFTWARE[FREE]

Arjun Misra November 4, 2020

Hey --

I have project and we are using Jira Software. I temporarly added two members to view the board. I would like to remove them now but I can not seem to remove them. I only can add people. I am an administrator on the project but since it is a free version all members are admins.

Is there an option I am missing? How do I remove them from the project?

Thank you! 

2 answers

0 votes
colin_j_connelly March 23, 2023

I have to agree with Nick.  An inability to remove someone from a project or even change a user is something that would have impacted my decision to recommend this product if I had known about it.  I work in governments in countries with extremely low budgets and no access to a credit card.  Any software with recurring costs simply does not get the invoice paid on the second payment.  This product was helpful as a free tool but this limitation in the environments I work in will have me looking for alternatives.  Forcing someone to start an entirely new project to change a user is absurd, assuming that is even possible using the existing email addresses.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

It’s like any other software, you have to pay for full features. You can’t expect a free piece of software to do everything you want it to do. You can make the user an active and they will not have access to the project.

Nick Nifadeff March 23, 2023

How can removing a new user within the user cap be a feature?

It's clearly a bug, a negligence, a dont-give-a-shit attitude. Feature could be adding AND removing a user.

If Atlassian feels too stingy to give a usable access for free to its products, remove this free tier plan. But don't call this basic functionality "a feature".

Like # people like this

I think you missed my point.  My issue is making free users aware of this limitation at decision time, not the limitation itself.

And, I would never expect free software to "do everything you want it to do" but the ability to change a user on a short list of users is one of those things I would consider basic functionality.  But that's me.  Simply because changing a user in the free version actually means deleting your entire project and starting the entire project again with a new user list.  Which is perhaps something free users should have awareness of before deciding to engage the free version of this product.

Nick Nifadeff March 23, 2023

I think they've introduced this "feature" accidentally, and now prioritising other "jiras", for instance, bug fixing for paid users.

Atlassian don't have time/desire to fix it now for free users, and coin this bug as a "feature".

I wouldn't release software with such "feature", it can be damaging to the firm's reputation.

Chimdimma Nwachukwu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 25, 2024

I am retracting my initial comment because I have been able to remove users from my board without deleting my project. If you still have issues with removing a member after an automatic upgrade, check out this article. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/How-to-Downgrade-Jira-Software-from-Standard-to-Free/ba-p/2045188

Thank you.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2020

Hi Arjun - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Is this a Next-gen Project? Or a Classic Software Project? 

Arjun Misra November 5, 2020

Hi John --

Thank you for the welcome!

It is a next-gen project

Thank you,

--Arjun

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2020

You should be able to go to Project Settings > Access and remove the user from access to the project. 

Like unnikrishnan m likes this
Arjun Misra November 6, 2020

I do not see the remove option anywhere is plan site. Maybe I missed it?

Here is a couple of screenshots:

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 1.50.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-06 at 1.50.30 PM.png

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2020

You did it all correctly but "Free" plans do not permit this kind of access settings.
You would have to upgrade your plan.
Please also review the explanation on that: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AdminJIRACloud/Jira+Cloud+plans

The current behaviour is: Anyone with access to the "yoursitename" site can access and administer this project.

Like Arjun Misra likes this
Arjun Misra November 7, 2020

Hi Daniel --

Thanks! That makes sense. weird but makes sense.

Thank you,

--Arjun

Nick Nifadeff July 29, 2022

What sense does it make? You can add user to project, but cannot delete it? It's a non-human logic.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

The point is that it doesn't matter with a Free version - everyone has access to everything. It doesn't matter which role you give them or don't give them - they are still treated as Administrators. 

Tien Lit
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 4, 2022

Hi, I'm an administrator and not free version user, how can i remove team member? 

Like Shafayet Chowdhury likes this

See my reply.  It looks like you have to delete your entire project and start again with a new user list if you want to change the user list.  Perhaps John can verify that is the correct procedure for changing a user in the free version.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events