How to make the completion of a custom field mandatory?

SEBOT September 14, 2022

Hi all.  I have configured a custom field for my project, and have set it as "required" - it shows as required in "Issues/Field Configuration".

However, when an issue is created, it is still possible for the user to leave this field blank.  

I have gone through all the guidance and haven't been able to find out why; my desired outcome is that it is not possible to create an issue without the custom field being completed.

I have managed to work around the issue by using a validator on each transition within the workflow that blocks transition if the field is not completed, but this is inelegant and cumbersome because I have to add the validator to each transition.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Hi Peter,

If you make it Required in the Field Configuration, that should do the trick. However, you might have multiple Field Configurations in your scheme for that project (different FCs for different Issue Types). 

Can you share a screenshot of the FC where it is marked required? And also your FC Scheme? 

SEBOT September 22, 2022

Hi John.  I've created a specific field configuration scheme for this project.  Here's the field configuration; these are all the screens that are used in the project

uk tech team.png

SEBOT September 22, 2022

And here's the field configuration scheme

uk tech team.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

And you are sure that the scheme is attached to the project? 

If so, can you share a screenshot of your create screen with the field in it? 

SEBOT September 22, 2022

Sure... ukt create screen.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

I don't know what else to tell you. I have never seen that happen before. As a short term fix, you could add a validator for Required Field to the Create transition in your workflow(s). 

But I would open a support ticket with Atlassian to see if they can tell what is going on. Please post back here with the resolution. Good Luck!

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events