How to make the Resolution field editable?

Maitreya Barpande March 13, 2018

In our Jira software, we are using the Simplified Workflow, which consists of statuses To Do, In Progress, In QA Testing, and Done.

While viewing any bug, we see the resolution field but it seems to not editable:

Resolution field.png1) Do I have to make changes in the workflow?

2) Why is that field coming up in the first place if I don't have it in my workflow?

3 answers

0 votes
Jon March 31, 2021

If the issue was closed in error, then re-opened, the resolution also doesn't change to To Do. Is there a fix for that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2021

Your workflow is not clearing the resolution on the re-open transition (you shouldn't have a resolution of "to do" by the way, resolution being empty is what indicates that the issue needs something doiig)

Kosha Singh May 20, 2021

Hi Nic,

If the issue was closed in error, then re-opened, the resolution still remains "Completed". Can the resolution be changed back to "Unresolved" which makes more sense when the ticket is reopened?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

As above, add a "clear resolution" post-function to re-open

Kosha Singh May 20, 2021

Thank you Nic for your quick response. It worked.

Also, If in post function, I select "Complete" as resolution, but I want to abandon or reject the ticket, the resolution still changes to "Complete". 

Is it possible to have the resolution to the selected option from the drop-down other than complete?

Or do I need to add post function and create multiple transition to close a ticket in various resolutions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

I think there might be two things here.

First, you asked about clearing a resolution, not setting it to another value.  To clear a resolution, you add a post-function that sets it to "none" (which is then listed as a post-function that "clears the resolution").

Second, you are now talking about setting a different resolution.  You've not explained what abandon/reject are, or how you want them to behave, so I can't start to answer the rest of it.  Could you explain more about what you're doing and how you would like it to work?

Kosha Singh May 20, 2021

The first question for reopening the ticket and resolution = backlog.. It worked for me! Thank you!

But say if the ticket is rejected for any given reason, and I want to close the ticket with status as "Done" and resolution as "Rejected". But the workflow post function for "Done" status is set to Resolution = Complete. So do I need another transition set up for the same status?

0 votes
Brian Schussler December 26, 2018

Nic,

Great making the Resolution field isn't recommended by Atlassian.

My business process requires this ability, so how do we enable it without requiring a new screen or a transition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2018

It's not "not recommended", it breaks things.

Your business process needs to be adapted in a way that allows you to set up Jira to support it.  Have a look at the linked conversation.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2018

You do NOT make it editable.  You should only set it when closing an issue, and, you should *always* set it, or Jira does not work properly.  It does not matter if you think you don't use it, Jira needs it to be used properly.

See yesterday's discussion on the same matter at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Can-not-Edit-Resolution-Field/qaq-p/749848

If you do not want to ask the users to select one, then instead of a screen, use a post-function for "set Resolution to ..." on the transitions instead

Maitreya Barpande March 14, 2018

I want to make the resolution field visible (or clickable) to users so they can use other resolution fields such as Unresolved, Can't reproduce etc. How can I do that? These fields are not in the workflow.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2018

Again, you do NOT do this.  If you make it editable, your users will corrupt your data.

Please read the conversation linked to, I don't want to repeat it again.

Liz O'Connor October 31, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I totally agree with you, the resolution field should never be editable!!  However, someone, somehow in my organisation has made it editable in one of the schemes.  As I don't know how you would make it editable in the first place I don't know how to undo it. 

Any ideas?  I understand if you don't want to reply on this thread though, as that would essentially be providing instructions on how to make it editable in the first place...

Thanks, Liz

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2019

Look at your list of screens and where they are used.  Any screen that is used for "create" or "edit" issue in the issue type screen scheme needs to be checked for the resolution field - remove it from any screen that is for create or edit because they are wrong.

Like Liz O'Connor likes this
Liz O'Connor November 10, 2019

Found and fixed!!  Thanks for your help @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2019

Glad it was helpful!  The way resolution works is one of the weirdest hangovers I've seen in Jira, and it's rare to find any admin who has not got it wrong (or seen one of these conversations before they get it wrong).   Takes me back to when I got it so so wrong (I'm old - I'm talking Jira 2 at this point!)

Suggest an answer