Can not Edit Resolution Field

Leslie Jordan March 13, 2018

We have multiple resolution statuses, but I can not edit the resolution of an issue after we move it to an issue to a step that is linked to a 'Done' status. 

I've only been able to allow that field to be edited if I add it to the Edit screen, but then, it requires that field for every edit (not sure why). Obviously it doesn't make sense to set a resolution before the issue is done. How do I make resolution easily editable but not required at any step?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2018

Please do not say "resolution status".  Resolution and Status are two separate and very different things, and that phrase is totally confusing most of the time.

This behaviour with Resolution is correct.  Resolution should only be placed on view screens and screens that are on transitions that go into <done> status.

Resolution is not expected to be "easily editable", it is something you set when you're saying "we've finished with this", and rarely changes after that.  You usually clear it when re-opening too. The best you can do if you have an unusual need to change it a lot is create a transition from <done> to <done> with the field on screen.

I'm not sure my need is unusual, I'm just trying to make our flow easy to use for our team. I have used JIRA in the past, and we were able to easily set the Resolution when we marked something as Done. I simply want people to be able to edit this field from the view mode as shown below. We have only a few professional users so I was trying to get across that enforcing rules like 'it has to be in a done state' to set a resolution is not needed, but I'm okay with it if that makes it easier. I just simply want to know how to make the Resolution field editable from this view when someone changes the status to the done state.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 7.30.19 PM.png

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2018

You can't make it editable there without making it editable on the edit screen.  Which will set it irrespective of status if someone edits an issue.  So your users will be resolving issues just by editing them, which is not right.

Why are your users wanting to change the resolution?

We use Resolution to communicate with issue reporters why we are closing the issue, we have things like 'Done', 'Won't Do', 'Duplicate', and 'Cannot Reproduce'. 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2018

That's what it's for, so that's fine, but why the need to edit it?  You should be setting it correctly when bringing issues to an end, as the reason for ending them.  Before that, it should be empty.

I agree there's no reason why someone would set it before closing it - which is why I don't care if there are restrictions around it or not because I trust my users to use it correctly and not do that, because it doesn't make sense. Regardless, I just need people to be able to edit it once they set a Status to Done. Right now, we set the done status in a couple of ways, I can't edit the resolution in any of these cases:

1) By moving it to a done column in a sprint board. The means they'll be click it to go to the modal, it would be nice if they could set resolution here.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 7.48.16 PM.png

2) By changing the status from the backlog view. They can easily do this from the drop down on the issue in the side panel. How do we let them set a resolution there?

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 7.48.44 PM.png

3) In the full view of an issue, I can change the status from the top options. After I do that, I want to set the correct resolution below it. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 7.49.57 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2018

Ok, have a look at the workflow - adding a transition screen with resolution on it will prompt the user when they use the transitions.

Like 양순희 likes this

Thank you @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, that worked!

Suggest an answer