How to make "Days in column" more obvious? (no add-ons)

Season Hughes September 3, 2020

Our eyes easily skip over the dots representing the "Days in column" on our Jira board. See grey dots below.

dots.PNG

I'm looking for something more obvious, like how a column turns red when it's exceeded the maximum number of stories. See red BLOCKED column below.

red.PNG

As we are looking to progress faster on our stories, is there a way to make stories that have spent a long time in columns more obvious?

We are unable to use any add-ons due to being a large, IT-managed organization. I am looking for a solution that exists within the base Jira Software product.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2020

Hi @Season Hughes 

Without add-ons, a simple method you could use is card colors and queries to highlight a card, such as with:

NOT status changed after -1w

If you have automation rules, you could instead use a scheduled query and set the Flag to Impediment, which would show the flag indicator on the issues.  To learn more about automation rules, please see this documentation: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/automation-for-jira-server-7-1-documentation-993924595.html

Best regards,

Bill

Season Hughes September 3, 2020

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, Bill.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2020

Awesome; I am glad that helped you.

__Bill

Yanko Georgiev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 25, 2021

Raising my glass for this answer, Bill! Thanks a lot!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer