How to leverage JIRA dashboards with AWS Codepipeline/AWS Codebuild

Simran November 30, 2021

We are using Bitbucket Cloud and Codepipeline integration. Also posting back build status to the commits in bitbucket from our code pipeline which works well.  https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/devops/aws-codepipeline-build-status-in-a-third-party-git-repository/

However, I am bummed to see that JIRA deployments dashboards currently don't offer a way of integration with AWS Codepipeline/code build. 

I would like to add this as a feature request. Maybe just a lambda function that can be set up using a CFN template would make life easier but this is important to have in place. 

1 answer

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

This partially mirrors my response to you comment, but for perspective I'll rephrase it again in context of your question here:

We have recently explored such an integration during Codegeist 2021, and our Develop with AWS (Jira) submission started with the very goal to have a simple Lambda/CloudFormation based solution as a starting point to leverage the new Jira deployment dashboard and related Atlassian Open DevOps features for your AWS development toolchain.

As outlined within section 'Challenges we ran into', this turned out to be less straight forward than expected. Besides the lack of support for Jira Software Cloud data providers [Open DevOps] (FRGE-472) in Forge, "we have also underestimated the complexity of mapping [AWS resource types, tags, and events] to the applicable Open DevOps API schemas", which requires us to "implement a custom event mapping pipeline for each supported AWS resource type going forward".

Regardless, with the building blocks in place, we'll initially support CodePipeline, CodeBuild, and likely CodeCommit. The onboarding experience is indeed based on a simple CloudFormation stack, though given the operational complexity of the backend service, we'll release this integration as a (moderately priced) supported app in the Marketplace. The upside of the more advanced mapping architecture is that it allows us to follow up with integrations for other applicable services like CodeDeploy, CodeArtifact, CloudFormation, Step Functions, AppConfig etc. over time. 

We hope to learn more about Atlassian's roadmap priorities regarding the missing APIs in January. Depending on their timeline, we may need to consider releasing the app based on one of the two conceivable workarounds (Connect or OAuth 2.0), which may not be suitable for the majority of users though.

Meanwhile, the app remains in the works and we'll update the Develop with AWS landing page as we progress, and I'll also update my answer here once the integration is available one way or another.

Simran October 4, 2022

Hi! Any update here? @Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ 

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2022

Hi @Simran, thanks for asking, and sorry for the delay, we had to prioritize a couple of unrelated distractions this year :disappointed:

We are working towards the GA release as we speak, but have to work around the still not publicly available Jira Software data provider support in Forge (FRGE-472). We are confident to get it published to the Marketplace this quarter though. There will be an EAP before that and I’ll reach out to you once it’s available!

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2023

I've commented on the delay and pending EAP via the related community thread.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events