How to group issues in backlog by epic

Hi,

I was trying to figure out, whether there is an option to group issues in backlog by epics. 

The desired look is similar to the Portfolio, where I see the list of epics, and when clicked, the list of sub-tasks (stories) is displayed.

Often, when I have a new idea, I create an epic, and later on, when we are going to develop the feature, we design the stories, but the epic is not visible in the backlog! so I end up creating a new one :(

Actually, the epics are hardly visible, when we want to use the epic swimlanes in current sprint, which I think is very useful.

I would love to see my backlog grouped by epics, it would definitely improve the usability.

Thanks for your responses and time!

2 answers

0 vote

You can certainly sort/view issues on a backlog by their epic.  There is some documentation that helps explain how to use epics with the boards such as: Working with Epics.

You will notice that Scrum boards, (and more recent versions of Kanban boards) will have both a "Versions" and "Epics" tab on the left side of the board itself.  You can easily use this as a means to display epics on the board as well as manage what issues are included from that backlog into that epic itself.  You can drag and drop them provided the epic appears on that board.

That is the one catch I think many users overlook; you can only see epics on a board if the epic issue itself is included in the JQL filter that is in use for that board.   So some users will create an epic in a different project (say project B), and if your board is using a simple filter that say, only includes the issue in project A, you won't be able to see the epic itself.  In those cases, you might need to adjust your saved JQL filter for that board to also include the epic you want.  This could be done with a simple JQL such as appending 'OR issuekey=$EPICKEY-123'  where you actually enter the issue key of the epic you want to see. 

Or if you want to see all epics in Jira on that board you could do something more wholistic such as an 'OR issuetype=epic' and add that to the JQL filter in use for that board.  This is one way you could see all the epics in that board.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your reply!

I know I can display epics on the left-panel, but I wanted to display them directly in the backlog.

Untitled.jpg

I would like to see the epics in the RIGHT panel, same as stories. Or, even better, grouping the stories, by the epics.

The left panel is much less clear. You cant see that many epics at once and so on..

The prefered view in the backlog is like in the portfolio: 

Untitled2.jpg

Thanks again for your time!

Hi Jan,

Thanks for further explaining what you are looking for here.  I found a past feature request that I believe is similar to your request in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-6945

In that case, the user wanted to see the epic just like any other issue type in the backlog.  You can see in the comments there that one of the Agile product team members, @Martin Jopson, wrote up this response:

The representation of epics in JIRA Agile is to show them in a panel (on the left side) where issues can easily be added to them. We feel this design is preferable for the use-case of organisation of issues into an epic, or the creation of issues in an epic.

This issue is Resolved as Answered, not Resolved as Fixed. The message states that it's not something we're looking to add to JIRA Agile at this time. We feel it's better to give a straight answer than to just leave the issues open.

As a workaround for your preferred way of using epics, a different issue type or even a Story with a prefixed summary "EPIC-" could be used to display an epic in the backlog. When the 'epic' is broken down then one could swap to Story issue type or remove the prefix.

Regards,
Martin
JIRA Agile team

As such I can't see a way to do this in Jira Software, and it does not appear that this is something the team plans to add to Agile/Software either.

I realize that this is not exactly the same thing, but I just want to check to make sure you are aware of this part:  When you click the epic in the left panel, it does filter to only show the issues in that epic on the board. 

When all issues are selected

When only that epic is selected.

I know this is not exactly the same thing as you can see in say something like Jira Portfolio, but I still think this might be a useful way to sort and organize.

Thanks a lot again!

Yeah I'm aware of the ability to filter with epics.

The use case is following, I prefer to log new feature requests into backlog as epics, because they are usually larger. And then, when we decided, ok, lets do it next month, i.e. it comes on the horizon, we specify the stories.

I have to find another way :)

Thank you!

Andrew,

I try to sum up minimal adjustments, that would really improve working with the issues in backlog on the epics level:

1. Allow wider LEFT panel (I did that manually only by removing the 220px width css property), this allows viewing more epics at once, because the names are not wrapped
  2. Allow selecting multiple epics at once (same as stories)
  3. Add send to top, send to bottom and delete options to right click panel (there is no right click panel yet) - helps prioritize epics easily

This allows nicely manage the epics. Look at the screenshot: 

backlog-wide epics.jpg

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Mar 28, 2018 in Jira Software

Can a company’s culture make or break agile adoption?

Can a new-to-agile team survive and thrive in a non-agile culture? If so, what advice would you give to those trying to be agile in a non-agile culture? What's the key(s) to success? Share your thoug...

12,076 views 15 13
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you