How to display a compact board showing the whole system of work

Vincent Vanderheeren December 20, 2019

Hi,

Through the years I became a huge fan of physical boards and visualisations because they tend to be more effective in their purpose:  providing a bigger picture and increasing the understanding of the system of work. 
How is it that a JIRA board visualisation is not able to show the complete picture?? How is it that you need to scroll to see more columns or swimlanes or issues on the board? Doesn't that ruin the whole intention of getting a whole view system understanding?

3 answers

0 votes
Hans Marggraff March 22, 2024

Quite obviously Atlassian changed the layout of Jira in the Cloud vs. on the Self-Hosted-Server Version. And the new layout sucks. The margins have been increased, so that sharing a Jira board via Teams/WebEx is now close to useless. 

And this is not a question: Provide a compact view, that maximizes Text vs margins and unimportant Buttons. Not a great effort required, can be done by providing alternative CSS.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2024

Hi @Hans Marggraff , you might want to share your input via the in-app feedback link (click on "?") as it will have a better chance of getting to the product owners.

0 votes
glenn.peirce@mckesson.com August 21, 2023

For JIRA: Do what every other content-display tool has done for practically forever: create a compact view setting. Gmail does this. Outlook does this. Salesforce does this.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2019

Hi Vincent, this seems more like a discussion than actual question. With that said what shows on the board depends on how much data you’re trying to display and the available browser window space. What is displayed is almost entirely controlled by the size of your monitor. You can also use browser zoom capabilities and even multiple monitors. Maybe I have missed your point?

Vincent Vanderheeren December 27, 2019

Hey, I understand, the point is that regardless of browser zoom capabilities, the space available is rather limited which in most cases results in a board that you have to scroll in. I also agree that you don't want too many cards on the overview, so I am talking about boards where the total amount of cards is <30. The size that each card has is relatively large. If you want a board with multiple swimlanes, and +5 columns (each with a waiting column, which should be default if you want a pull system that differentiates between active steps and waiting steps) then I quickly run in trouble with the available space. 
But I don't want to turn this into a discussion. It is possible that this is not really a hot topic. I see more and more teams prefer digital boards in favor of the physical ones, and yet the possibilities are so limited. I really miss the "in your face overview" where you can easily spot system opportunities. The question is how can your display trigger you to consider the bigger picture vs how can the display trigger you to see what cards you are working on.

Hans Marggraff March 22, 2024

What an arrogant answer from Jack Brickley. Whenever someone requests a compact layout, the answer is zoom out (wont work in online meetings, because then it becomes unreadable) or buy new hardware, which does not help with online views either.

Suggest an answer