How to disable the "use f on your keyboard" popup message

David Tenne May 17, 2021

Whenever I use ctrl+f to search for something on the page this popup shows.

Jira.png

Yes. I get it that I can search in jira using the 'f' but, in some cases, I still prefer to use the browser search.

Any idea how do I tell Jira to stop opening this dialog? (Let me decide without pestering about it!)

3 answers

7 votes
Larry Allen June 22, 2021

I also want an answer to this, but maybe for a different reason. How can I disable Jira's interception of Chrome's Cmd-F (Ctrl-F) search? This only happens for me in a team-managed project, not a company-managed project. I want to do a browser search to find an issue in the backlog in its placement among other issues. I don't want it to filter the list. Disabling shortcuts does not turn off the Cmd-F interception. Besides, I don't want to disable all shortcuts.

Thank you in advance.

Nikhil Kundra December 29, 2021

+1

Joe Gilliland-Lloyd August 3, 2023

+1

0 votes
Joe Gilliland-Lloyd August 3, 2023

I'm experiencing this. +1 to all of the above.

I don't like JIRA keyboard shortcuts at all and have them disabled, and yet `ctrl + f` is still being intercepted by JIRA, specifically when viewing a board. On a further note, please don't hijack browser based keyboard shortcuts -- the browser behavior is expected by a user. 

I've discovered that the search bar in JIRA I'm now forced to use doesn't even search things like labels that are displayed on the cards for tickets. It's objectively worse than using the basic browser `ctrl + f`

EDIT: This was meant to be a reply in an existing thread. Apologies for the mistake.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

Hi David - I don't see an "f" in the list of keyboard shortcuts for Jira. Let me see if someone from Atlassian can take a look at it for you. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

Well, I take that back - I overlooked it in the list.  But it does nothing if I just type the "f".

I get the normal search function in Windows when I type ctrl+f

Like David Tenne likes this
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2021

Hello David,

Thanks for raising this concern around using the in-browser search vs the shortcut prompted search. You're able to disable keyboard shortcuts while in Jira by pressing "shift+?" and from there select 'Disable keyboard shortcuts.

There was a post in regards to this change and roll out which can be found at How to disable Keyboard Shortcuts? 

I hope this information proves helpful.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Like # people like this
David Tenne May 19, 2021

@Stephen Sifers Thanks for the answer, but if I do that then ALL keyboard shortcuts will stop working and that is not what I want.  I do want to be able to use the keyboard shortcuts, only without the continuous nagging of that dialogue.

(Honestly, this seems like an overzealous product manager really really wanted to "educate" the customers on how to use the product. If you are that PM, this is really a bad way. One time should be enough. Stop pestering us about it.)

Like # people like this
Larry Allen September 6, 2021

I just discovered these replies (no notifications). Thank you for your responses. I tried the shortcut keyboard option and turning off shortcuts (temporarily), but neither worked. Atlassian foolishly hijacked Cmd/Ctrl-F. Not cool. Someone suggested a solution that does work, but is extra friction: tap the browser's kebab menu (3-dot menu) and then tap Find.

Atlassian, arrest the hijacker and give us back our browser search. If you want a filter option, then add a filter icon.

Like # people like this
Ed Colyer September 15, 2021

The cmd-F hijacking is extremely painful. Other services I've seen do this allow you to press cmd-F a second time to get access to the native browser Find option. Not sure how this behaviour passed UX review.

Like # people like this
Nick Middleweek September 23, 2021

Hi @Stephen Sifers - Any chance we can make a small change to the keyboard shortcuts/ interception feature you have.

My preferred behaviour would be:

1. Pressing f = "Focus on search bar"
  2. Pressing CTRL+f or CMD+f = Browser default Find in Page.

This way, we can have both features and on the keydown event, you can check if a modifier key was also pressed and ignore the interception.

For some reason, disabling Keyboard shortcuts from the Shift+? menu, disables the first behaviour noted above but doesn't disable the second behaviour. Perhaps a bug?

Like # people like this
Ross Dickinson December 9, 2021

This absolutely needs to be removed, or an option to turn this off. Never, NEVER, do I want basic browser functionality hijacked by a web app. Apps that do this downright kill productivity when they force me to think about whether a function that universally works everywhere else will work for their special snowflake feature.

It doesn't even make any sense to do this when you have pages with two different search fields on it simultaneously. It doesn't make sense to do this ever. Revert this.

Like # people like this
Alex Tang February 2, 2022

Yeah seriously.  You already have "F" as a shortcut for the jira "find" command.  There's no reason to take "Cmd/Ctrl-F" as well.  Please remove this ASAP.  Or at least make it configurable where the user can turn it off. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events