How to define Task as child of Story AND parent of Sub-Task?

NIFEPO March 20, 2021

I'm in Advanced Roadmaps hierarchy levels and I cannot modify current hierarchy...

Current hierarchy: 

• Epic > Story > Sub-Task
  • I can only add new levels ABOVE Epic, but not between those three levels.

Expected hierarchy:

• Epic > Story > Task > Sub-Task

Thanks

5 answers

2 votes
Ville Testaaja May 23, 2022

+1 to hierarchy:

• Epic > Story > Task > Sub-Task

Is there any custom mods or settings to do it?

2 votes
Raghavender Sahdev March 21, 2021

Hi Jira team, We are also trying to do the same thing in JIRA, and have been stuck on this for some time. Some clarity around how to achieve this appropriately would be very helpful and greatly appreciated thanks.

1 vote
Corneliu Vasiliu January 20, 2022

We're also trying the same thing, Is this something that will ever be fixed or should we work-around it somehow? A suggested course of action would be appreciated.

1 vote
jian June 22, 2021

but isn't it a common need of PM to have this hierarchy: theme>Epic > Story > Task > Sub-Task?

Michael Ziegler January 23, 2024

i need the same solution:
theme>Epic > Story > Task > Sub-Task

the default issue type of a story should be a Task (not a Sub-Task)

is there any workaround?

BR

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2021

Hi @NIFEPO,

Unfortunately it is not possible to configure additional hierarchy levels between Epic, Story and Sub-Task. This is due to the history of Advanced Roadmaps which was formerly known as Portfolio for Jira and was a marketplace application for Jira.

Advanced Roadmaps introduces a new hierarchy relationship called "Parent Link" that can be used to create additional hierarchy levels, but only above Epic. The relationship between Epic and Story levels is controlled by the "Epic Link" relationship.

It is possible to rename hierarchy levels but the Epic issue can only be used at the Epic hierarchy level.

Regards,

Dave

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events