How to customize issue view in Next-gen project

Kevin Syyong December 10, 2018

In a Next-gen project, I've created a new issue type with a bunch of custom fields. All the custom fields are designated as "Primary Fields".

When viewing an issue, all the custom fields I created are crammed together on the narrow right-side column of the page. How do I get those custom fields to appear in the bigger, left-side column of the page (i.e. under the issue description)?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2018

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!
Currently, it's not possible to reorder the fields on next-gen projects.
Next-gen projects use the "New issue view" that was applied to other project types as well, so it affects all projects on Jira.
We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of the ability to reorder the fields on the "view screen":
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68967
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regards,
Angélica

Kevin Syyong December 12, 2018

Thanks for the replies!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
0 votes
Matt Young June 16, 2019

Any update here?  I've been using the next-gen project type quite extensively (love it) - but the issue view is basically not workable.

I'm using Confluence just to view the issues (with custom fields) at all.  Editing them is a bit of a chore.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2019

Hi Matt,

As this question is from December, many things have changed since then and now it's already possible to reorder fields on next-gen.
Please, go to the Project settings > Issue types > Select an issue type and after reordering the fields, click on Save changes.

Screen Recording 2019-06-17 at 08.28 AM.gif

Regards,
Angélica

Tim July 2, 2019

Hi Angelica, Sorry to be pedantic, but this doesn't answer the question. 

The whole point of the question was to move things out of the right hand column of fields and to under the Description field in the main area of the issue view. You still cannot do this, this only allows you to reorder things within that right hand column.

For example, I want to add a separate field for acceptance criteria to be directly underneath description to give it greater importance and visibility. But even placing it at the top of the list of primary fields doesn't move it to the main panel.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 2, 2019

Hi Tim,

Currently, when using the new issue view it's not possible to add fields under the description, this is only possible using the old view.
There is a feature request suggesting to add this option for the new issue view:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17999
Please, click on vote and watch in order to hear about updates on the development cycle.

Regards,
Angélica

Quentin SCHNEIDER November 20, 2019

Hello @Angélica Luz ,

I don't have the view you show. 

I still have the old view with "Description field" locked. So every other field are display in a small column on the right

Annotation 2019-11-20 120108.jpg

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 21, 2019

Hi Quentin,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

You are using a next-gen project where it's expected that all custom fields show on the right side.

On my previous gif, the summary and description didn't show and they added it now, but the same as before, it's locked.

Next-gen projects use the new issue view which we can't add any field under the description, only the context fields can be reordered.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
December 12, 2018

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for raising this question with us.

As you can see in this answer, the new issue view available for Next-Gen projects is still a lab feature, so our developers are still working to implement new features.

That being said, It's not possible at this moment to move the fields from the right panel to any other part of the issue screen, however, we've raised two feature requests to implement this feature:

New Jira Issues View - Change Text fields (multi-line) Location or resize right-hand side view

New JIRA View . keep Important fields permanently on the left-hand side of issue view

Please, feel free to vote and watch both feature requests to increase its priority and be aware of any updates.

Suggest an answer