How to create multi-line text field in next-gen project?

sukhbir.kalsi November 27, 2018

How to create multi-line text field in next-gen project?

4 answers

6 votes
Donny Harris May 7, 2019

Yeah agree with the above, this is not really usable for us without multi-line text fields. 

2 votes
y.tesselaar November 25, 2019

I have created a new feature request for this. Please vote.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73444

2 votes
Gaby S. May 10, 2019

Any updates on this? Not having  the ability to create multiple line inputs, makes this type of projects 100%  useless :(

0 votes
Deleted user November 27, 2018

Hi @sukhbir.kalsi,

Currently, Jira offers styling for short text entry using a single line text box. As mentioned in the document below More text fields are coming soon.

only the below type of fields can be added to next-gen projects.

• Checkbox fields

• Date fields

• Dropdown fields

• Labels fields

• Number fields

• Text fields (Single Line Text fields)

• Time fields

Please see the page Available custom fields for next-gen projects for your reference.

Please also see the page on  How to Customize an issue's fields in next-gen projects.

Regards,

Vijay Ramamurthy

Rosey April 23, 2019

Any update? Pretty useless without this.

Like # people like this
Spencer Behrend April 24, 2019

Have to agree, can't do "Steps to reproduce" on a bug. Even just a shift return would be something. How is this still useless. 

Like Donny Harris likes this
Guy Thomas April 30, 2019

Oh how I regret hitting "next gen project"

Like # people like this
Jo Wells June 12, 2019

I agree the usability on this is disgraceful, why would you ever limit a text field like this.  I spent 20 mins thinking it was me and not Atlassians poor UX!  The only reason I used next gen was due to being forced into it as I migrated from Trello.  I also regret this now, you need to fix this one quick smart!!!!

Evan Bovie June 13, 2019

@Jo Wells I agree that these limited text field options make next-gen projects difficult to adopt. It's breaking our workflow too, and I'm switching back to classic so I can use Custom Fields. But shouting at the community, and the devs for that matter, will not make this feature get built faster.

Jo Wells June 13, 2019

@Evan Bovie Hardly shouting at the community or at anyone for that matter, just using my freedom of speech to voice my frustrations and trying to move this up the prioritisation list.  As a Delivery Manager myself I'm happy to hear all feed back and it is always good to see how annoying certain issues are to people so they can be prioritised correctly. I'm sure Atlassian must feel the same or they would not have an open community. 

Spencer Behrend June 14, 2019

Moving back to Classic. 

Like Jonathan Anthony likes this
Paul Panayis July 9, 2019

The lack of the multi-line custom field and multi-line defaults is a real killer for NextGen.. Hopefully they are listening and adding more custom field types sooner rather than later. 

Like Jonathan Anthony likes this
Michal_Szolkiewicz July 11, 2019

Please Comrades,
make this happen

Willy Theodore July 22, 2019

Hi, any update on this feature update? Really struggle to use the next-gen project to its full potential

Orr Shilon July 28, 2019

+1 for this feature request

Hammad July 31, 2019

Sorry NextGen should be called OldGen without multi line field. Moving back to classic

Diane Roberts August 1, 2019

Is there a voting mechanism to get multi-line text fields added quicker? 

Mick Might August 2, 2019

This is the closest I found so far, you can vote on this

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68024

Max September 12, 2019

Any news on this?
We really need multi line text boxes.

Kyle October 11, 2019

@Mick Mightunfortunately that looks like a different issue :(

This is a big missing feature. It's surprising that we can't make new classic projects when next-gen is so far behind.

Mick Might October 11, 2019

A workaround I use is to add "default text" to the Description fields in Feature settings. 

For example, I added this as a workaround until multi-line custom fields are available, then I would port the data over manually. A bit painful I know, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

Acceptance Criteria

ac1 - blah

ac2 - blah

Kyle October 11, 2019

Nice workaround; I appreciate the tip!

Suggest an answer