How to create custom fields on Project in Jira?

RishabhT September 27, 2020

Hey,

I want to create custom fields on Jira Project but I am not finding the option but everywhere people just telling me to create the custom fields on Issue only.

So, Is there a way to create the custom field on Project in Jira and later could I also access this custom field using Jira Api?

Kindly help ASAP.

5 answers

2 votes
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 28, 2020

Hi @RishabhT ,

Jira doesn't support project custom fields out of the box, but you can install Profields for Jira cloud and get that use case covered quite neatly.

Their cloud functionality is not as comprehensive in Cloud as it is in Server, but you'll get your custom fields and I think also the ability to query for them.

Flora Rubio [DEISER] September 28, 2020

Thank you @Capi [resolution] ;) 

Hi @RishabhT

I'm part of DEISER's team, editor of Profields- Jira Project Tracking.

As Capi mentioned, thanks to Profields you are able to create custom fields on your projects but also search and filter your projects which helps you to manage your entire portfolio. 

Do not hesitate to reach me on my email address flora.rubio@deiser.com if you want more details depending on your specific use case.

Thanks

Like Leo Diaz _ DEISER likes this
2 votes
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2020

Hi @RishabhT ,

Check this article https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/create-a-custom-field-991923727.html

You need to be a jira-administrator to create new custom fields in JIRA

Bro,

This article also telling us how to create custom fields on Issue not on project. I am concerned to create the custom field on Project not on any other. 

Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2020

@RishabhT - Let me try to explain. The hierarchy in JIRA is

JIRA instance

JIRA Projects

JIRA Project's Issuetypes

To have an custom field for an issue type,

First a jira-administrator should create the field at the JIRA instance level, only after which it can be associated with the project (all issue types in the project) or any one specific issue type in the project.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2020

Projects do not have custom fields.  Custom fields can only be done at the issue level.

0 votes
Pramudya Tur September 9, 2022
0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2020

@RishabhT 
You cannot create custom field on project. Your custom fields are system wide and require the Jira Administrator permission to be created.

After creating it, you can constrain it to a single project. However, note that at anytime, another admin can make it accessible to other projects.

Regards.

Hi Ismael

Once you said "cannot" and then said "Required Jira Administration Permission". As My account is already adminstrator.

So, could I be able to create it? Or you talking about super admin Of whole Jira Cloud?

Kindly explore more.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2020

HI @RishabhT 

You CANNOT create a custom field for just one project.

You as a JIRA Administrator (not project administrator) can create a custom field that will be accessible to all projects on the instance. The difference is as the admin, you can constrain this to your project BUT as I mentioned it can be enabled again by any other JIRA Administrator and will be accessible on other projects.

Can you check again you are a JIRA administrator? See also @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  reply as well as this ties to what I meant.

Regards.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2020

I think this is a bit of a confused conversation.

There are two types of "custom field" being discussed to my mind:

• Custom fields for issues.  These are configured (by Jira admins, with some delegation to project admins in some cases) at a project level, but act at an issue level - each issue may have data for a field.
  • Custom fields for projects - data that would be entered once for a whole project. Jira does not have these, only the system fields like key, name, lead, description and url etc.  If you want project-level custom fields, then see what @Capi [resolution] said

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events