How to create a workflow in the Free Edition?

Kirk Kuykendall May 27, 2021

The pricing page says the Free edition has "Customizable workflows".

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing

Yet after creating a site and signing in I see no mention of workflows in the UI.

Where is it?

Thanks, Kirk

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

They are admin objects, you create them under Admin -> Issues -> workflows.

Most of us do not do that though, we create (classic or company managed) projects, which generate a workflow to get you started with, and then dive into editing that.

Robb Duke June 30, 2022

I am having the same issue as Kirk. I am the admin for my org, I installed. I am using a Jira software project for a software development project, and I am using team-managed business projects. But in the team-managed business projects, there is no Admin -> Issues -> workflows

Any help would be appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

Workflows in Team-managed and Company-manged projects are currently very very different things. 

Atlassian are trying to converge the editors for them (i.e. make "edit workflow" look the same, even though the underlying data is totally different), but it is a long path.

In a TMP, you'll need to look at configuring each issue type differently, they don't use the workflows CMPs do.

Robb Duke June 30, 2022

I appreciate the insight. All the documentation I found refers specifically to workflows. I just need to be pointed to reference I can follow. Right now I've clicked on everything I can with no luck. Any links to something specific?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022
0 votes
Robb Duke July 1, 2022

To save yourself some time researching how to get to the Edit Workflow feature in team-managed business projects, follow these steps:

In project settings, go to Issue Types, then, in the top middle of the issue types screen, click the Edit Workflow button. 

Thanks to @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for putting me on the right path.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2021

Hi @Kirk Kuykendall

adding to what Nic said please also find here documentation about the workflows in Jira.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/work-with-issue-workflows/

Please be noted that there are differences on how workflows work in "team-managed projects" in opposite to "company-managed projects".
When being new to Jira those terms may look overwhelming when having to learn a lot from scratch so please take your time and also familiarize with those terms.

This page gives a good introduction and highlights the differences:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/what-are-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events