How to create a Jira project for all testing and other QA activities?

Peter Rump January 14, 2021

As Development, requirement management and Business requirement management use their own Jira projects. I'd like to set up a separate project for all kind of testing tasks across multiple IoT products (embedded SW). Test planning, preparation and execution on multiple test levels with multiple pre-condition shall be possible including test automation using xray robot framework integration. Any best practises or helpful documentation is heavily appreciated. 

May be there is a step by step approach outlining possible setup options and useful reports

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

This is more of a discussion since there is no best answer I suspect. First I question a bit not having testing within the project that defines each project. However, if I were to group all testing under a single project I would probably choose to use components as a means of identifying which product/project a TV was associated with. This could also be done using a custom select field. I am not experienced with X-ray so maybe others that are will add their input here. 

Peter Rump January 14, 2021

Thanks for the feedback. Testing within the same project on unit-, CI- and system-level makes sense if all parties are aligned in the same picture frame. Working with lots of different teams increases the risk, that a single project may not cover all teams demand. Especially a customer-oriented QA team may have additional acceptance criteria based on UX, KPIs, competion and special market risks, which are not fully covered by a scrum based development process. In addition several products might use common components and shared services (e.g. BLE, WiFi) which require a different QA-oriented view as opposed to a feature implementation for a specific device.

Browsing through Jira help I found this explanation of a Xray test set: 

"This is the Xray Test Set Issue Type. Creates a group of test cases. Used to associate all included Tests with other Xray issue types like Test Execution and Test Plan. A Test Set can also be associated with a requirement issue to provide coverage and test status."

The last sentence triggered my thought on using a separate project

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events