How to configure FreeIPA as LDAP directory with group memberships

Loopback.ORG August 15, 2017

I am looking for a solution to configurew LDAP authentication for Jira against a FreeIPA directory server.

The best HowTo I found was: https://www.freeipa.org/page/HowTos/LDAP_authentication_for_Atlassian_JIRA_using_FreeIPA , but the group membership information can't be retireved when following this receipe.

The best results I got was using the "Generic Posix/RFC2307 Directory (Read-Only) " server type adapter and adjusting the setting for the IPA schema as suggested in the HowTo mentioned above. This way, the directory server passes all JIRA tests, JIRA can successfully fetch all users and groups, and users can authenticate.

But the group membership relations do not seem to get fetched. So, any user is member of hios own group, but the membership for real groups is missing.  Since we want to grant JIRA access vie group membership in the directory, no user is allowed to login.

Does anyone have a successfull configuration involving JIRA server and FreeIPA and could post the correct settings here?

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2017

Hi,

There is a Suggestion that you can find at CWD-4134 to get support for FreeIPA added to Atlassian products.  Please vote on this issue to add impact so our developers will take this into consideration.

In that Suggestion ticket I would refer to Christopher Lamb's post to see if his solution works for you.

You may also try increasing the scope of the membership search:

(&(objectCategory=Group)(|(cn=desired-group-A)(cn=desired-group-B)(cn=jira*)))

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer