How to clone Epic with children by using automation rule?

Andrey Rudnev September 29, 2021

Hello everyone. I'm trying to create the following automatic rule for Jira Cloud: the rule should copy the epic along with all the issues included in it. Rule should be manual. Maybe you could help me with the logic of the rule? Plugins are not interested, only the rule. Thanks for your help. I am attaching a screen of my work. 

Auto rule.JPG

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Megan Moulton June 13, 2023

Appreciate this thread for steering me into the right direction. Here's what I ended up doing that worked (This only clones the epic and children, not the children's sub-tasks)

2023-06-13 14_41_24-Automation - Jira Service Management.png2023-06-13 14_41_43-Automation - Jira Service Management.png2023-06-13 14_41_49-Automation - Jira Service Management.png2023-06-13 14_41_57-Automation - Jira Service Management.png

1 vote
Answer accepted

I found my own solution for the problem:

My auto rule for cloning epic.JPG

Laura Franceschini March 3, 2023

Hi all, @Andrey Rudnev I have tested it and somehow works. However it does not clone the Status (I am cloning from one project specific Epics - using a JQL - to another project) have exactly the same workflow (and Issue types for all it matters)

Two question here: 

1. it does not clone the status. All in Backlog. How come?

2. I am not sure whether I should include in JQL the related child or not

Thanks,

Laura

Like Chris_Sterba likes this
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

You might find the answer from Alexis useful in this similar post - Automation-for-Jira-Clone-Epic-Story-and-Sub-tasks 

Thank for your advice.

Suggest an answer