How to automate subtasks on a ticket which cross projects

Evan Smith August 24, 2022

I am working on an automation which originates on our IT Support helpdesk. I would like for it to generate a parent ticket on the helpdesk and create linked subtasks in a separate project. The automation allows me to configure it to run across projects but encounters an error and won't create the linked subtasks when I test it out. 

I am using Jira Software Premium and Jira Service Management Premium. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

@Evan Smith , welcome to the Altassian Community!

To have subtasks created, it is mandatory to have a parent issue created for the subtask. If you don't think about creating subtasks in the same project and within the same issue created by the support ticket, you really won't be able to do that.

Creating loose subtasks in jira is not possible, because their link type is natively a "parent link" and not any linked issue value we see.

I suggest you adopt some standard issuetype, eg "Task" and link them to your main this. This will work fine. But having exactly subtasks won't work without first having a parent issue in the other projects where these subtasks might belong.

Hi @Fernando Eugênio da Silva thanks for your help with this!

Just so I'm clear. The automation can't run because the parent task must exist in the same project as the linked subtasks? The automation I'm currently running is in a different project and the configuration allows me to build the subtasks in a different project but will not run.

Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

@Evan Smith 

Exactly.

If you are trying to actually create subtasks in other projects, they can only be created if they have a parent issue associated with them and this parent issue must be from the same project as this subtask.

When you see the action of "Create Subtask", you need to define the "parent issue" of this subtask. The parent issue must be from the same project where this subtask is being created.

Thank you for your help on this!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events