How to automate (action:Transition issue) a cloned issue (between projects)?

Gil Blau August 30, 2022

Hi,

I would love someone to assist me with this issue. I need to move a cloned Issue (cloned from project A to Project B), to a status in Project B.

In other words (this is the scenario):

I have 2 projects: Project A, and Project B.

Step 1: An issue is created in Project A.

Step 2: Automation in Project A, clones the issue to Project B, and removes the issue from Project A

Step 3: The issue is now opened/cloned/created in Project B

Project A automation:

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 16.34.56.png

Step 4: Does not work!!!

I need to have an automation that transitions the issue to another status. I am trying to use the following trigger:

- When the issue is created, Then...

- When an issue moved from another project, Then...

Project B automation:

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 16.41.05.png

Any idea how can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hey Gil,

What about it doesn't work? It doesn't fire? It fires but gives an error? It fires and no error, but it doesn't do what you want it to do? 

First thing I would check is if there are any conditions on the transition you are trying to perform. 

Gil Blau August 30, 2022

It does not fire the automation.

I think that the trigger: "When: Issue created" is not relevant since the issue is cloned and not created...just a gut feeling.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

A clone is still considered a created issue by the target project.  That checkbox is critical for the second rule to fire.

Gil Blau August 30, 2022

@John Funk - Thanks for assisting!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Agree with Mark - that would fire the rule. But you need to check the box to allow other rules to trigger your second rule. You would do that in the Rule Details page. 

Screenshot.png

Gil Blau August 30, 2022

@Mark Segall - Thanks. I will check this now and will update you.

Gil Blau August 30, 2022

@John Funk @Mark Segall  Thanks! It works now.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Hi @Gil Blau - My first advice is to make sure that the "Project B Automation" has the checkbox set for:

"Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule"

If that is already set, please share audit logs for the failed rule(s) so we can help diagnose a bit further.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Gil Blau 

I am curious: what is your scenario leading to deleting the original issue? 

Specifically...if there is any work that happens on the issue in "project A" before the clone and subsequent deleting, won't you lose any Jira reporting on it?

Thanks, and kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events