How to allow Project Admin to change Project Permission Schema's

Mika Rahkolin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2021

We have couple hundred projects in JIRA Data Center. There is need to allow project manager to change manager's own project's permission schema. By default seems, that Project Admin -role have not permissions to do this, but JIRA Admin is needed.

If possible - this way we can avoid allowing too many JIRA Admin's and also avoid to workload from current JIRA Admin's.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2021

The functionality you are looking for is not currently available. You should contact Atlassian support to get your request added to their backlog.

0 votes
Sebastian Możdżeń
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2021

First question: Which version of JIRA are you using?

However, let me answer the assumptions right away. Changing the schemas gives you the option to select schemas from all over the jira, and thus gives you access to the configuration of the jira system. This can have very undesirable consequences because you will lose control of the way you are managed and you will not know why something has stopped working. It is a good practice that only administrators have access to this type of configuration, and people who manage the project should be able to act only within one project and diagrams attached to it.

Mika Rahkolin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 26, 2021

Version used ; JIRA DataCnter 8.14

Yes - I know, we should not allow project managers to get JIRA Admin permission.

Our JIRA admin's have created good set of well defined permission schemas.

What we want to allow ; Project Admin -role can change own Project's Permission Schema from list of those schemas.

Currently only JIRA Admin has permissions to Action -menu in project's Settings -> Permissions -screen, to change project's permission schema in use. We want to allow also Project Admin role to do same.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer