How to Enable Voting in Jira Cloud

Charisma Riley November 12, 2018

We would like to enable voting in Jira Cloud, but I am unsure how to do so. Where is this setting?

16 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2018

Hey @Charisma Riley

If you go to General Configuration > Edit Settings > Voting. You'll then click the On button. 

See image below. Let me know if you have any questions! 

2018-11-12.png (1560Ã 830)

Hi, @Brittany Wispell! We found the option, but it seems it's already enabled. How do we use it in our projects, then? Because the issues do not have the option to vote.

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2018

In your 'Permissions' of the project you're wanting to allow voting on, you'll want to make sure to add the specific roles that are allowed to vote. See below image.

Before updating this make sure that the 'Permission Scheme' is not associated to any other project you are not wanting voting on. 

I hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any other questions! :) 

Like # people like this

What do you mean by the 'Permission Scheme'? Also, do I need to add all the roles listed here, including "atlassian-addons-project-access"? Is there a way to limit the project to specific groups or individuals? Also, is this screen available only during creation of the project, or can it be changed/configured once the project is set up?

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2018

Hi sorry I'll clarify a bit better. You do not need to add the project roles I have in the images above or below. This is my specific project in my own instance. 

Consider the below. 

Project 1: All users in the instance can vote on issues in this project. 

Project 2: Only Developers can vote on issues in this project. 

For each of these projects you'll need 2 different "Permission Schemes" 

Permission Scheme 1: Grant Voting to Application Access: *Any logged in User* 

Permission Scheme 2: Grant voting to Project Role: *Developers* 

To set up different permission schemes you'll want to Jira Settings > Issues > Permission Schemes > Add Permission Scheme 

From there you'll create a name for your 'Permission Scheme' 2018-11-12.png (1573Ã 460)

I am going to post a series of images below, hopefully it will be more clear. 

Project > Project Settings > Permissions > Actions > Edit Permissions > *Scroll to* Voters & Watchers Permissions > Edit *this is where you add who you want to be able to vote*  

2018-11-12.png (1397Ã 973)

2018-11-12.png (958Ã 525)

2018-11-12.png (599Ã 603)

Like # people like this
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2018

If I am extremely far off on what you're asking for I do not mind getting on a quick Zoom or Skype call if you'd like. 

That was perfect, Brittany. Thank you!

Like Brittany Wispell likes this
Steven Breton van Groll July 27, 2020

Pity that it doesn't work for any project. I configured 2 projects with the same settings as above. This resulted in 1 project where users can vote and 1 project where they can't. Both projects use the same permission scheme and the general configuration settings are ON.

So i have no clue why it works for project A and not for B. Do screen schemes or workflow schemes have anything to do with this?

Like Santi likes this
Andreas Link October 7, 2020

Problem will be old view vs. new view, have you looked at the issue with the old view? I'm not sure, but I think new view still does not support it.

5 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2019

Hello everyone, 

Below is a link to the ticket for the Voting feature to be added to the 'New Issue View' in Atlassian Jira Cloud. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71251

In classic view of Jira Cloud this is still working if you follow the steps of the accepted answer above. 

Thank you everyone for your patience and please let me know/this thread know if you find any other development on this issue! 

Alvaro Munoz December 31, 2019

Thanks Brittany. That's what it was missing. I up-voted in that JIRA issue to have the voting feature back in the new UI , ironic haha. 

Like # people like this
4 votes
Andrew Lawrence January 19, 2020

Same problem here - no voting button, although voting is enabled and project permissions should allow for voting.

3 votes
Benjamin DeLillo January 22, 2020

I also cannot find any voting button in Jira Cloud in issues in my "Classic Software" type project.

3 votes
Ryan Zore June 24, 2019

I too am unable to find the voting button on both classic and new project types in both the old and new view.  Does anyone have an answer on this?

Peter Alouche May 5, 2020

I have the same problem

1 vote
Elia Pérez Oconor May 5, 2021

Hi Everyone!

I am interesting to know if on Jira Cloud there is a way to enabling the voting feature per project.

Thanks, and regards!

Elia.

1 vote
Bata March 1, 2021

+1

1 vote
Riccardo Fuzzi October 21, 2020

+1 problem only in the new jira commen view

1 vote
Valentin R. October 8, 2020

+1

1 vote
Nathaniel Elliott May 18, 2020

We are having the same issue - 

• Globally voting is on
  • Project permissions have the right setup
  • No voting option available 

How are people mitigating this right now? 

1 vote
Peter Alouche May 5, 2020

@Brittany Wispell 

I'm also unable to add voting on JIRA issues in my Business project.  We've enabled voting in the general settings and I've also setup a permission scheme for the project but still no success.  It feels like this is really just a bug and it would be great to get clarification from Altassian on when this issue will be resolved.  It's a key feature for our process.  

If there is a suggested workaround, please provide us with instructions for the workaround.

Nathaniel Elliott May 18, 2020

I am working on this as well @Peter Alouche. I will keep you in the loop! I created a comment here as well: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71251

1 vote
Rachel Viniar February 5, 2020

Voting only seems to be present on the old issue view, and with all new users automatically put on the new issue view this feature doesn't seem particularly supported in Cloud these days :/

1 vote
Sherry Umlah February 4, 2020

Also can't find the voting button after enabling the voting feature and adding permissions :( 

1 vote
AbdAlrahman AlaaEldeen April 20, 2019

Hi,

sorry but it seems you could solve the issue.

I am not sure if this is relevant or not.

In our JIRA all the provided setting in this post is already done but still there is no link or button that could be used by users to add the vote.

What is missing, in my side?

Also I can see a number on the Swim-lane cards saying votes number which is always 0, when I click on it, it is only opening the issue!

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

Hi @AbdAlrahman AlaaEldeen 

This answer could have changed in the recent changes to cloud. 

If you provide some other details about your instance this could help me out. 

I will poke around at the new features of Cloud to get a better understanding of what's new. 

AbdAlrahman AlaaEldeen April 22, 2019

Hi @Brittany Wispell 

Thank you for your reply.

Yes please I would appreciate if you can guide me through this.

I checked everywhere with no luck.

Recently in JIRA I would like to have voting on the created issues, and I managed to enable voting, and setup the permission for managing voters and watchers.

But the users can not find any button to make votes, on the created issue, however I found that I can add the votes number on the cards in the swim-lane.

This number appears as a link when I click on it, it just opens the issue view screen, and there is no voting button or votes number inside.

However I found if I click on this number with right click and open it in a new tab, it opens the votes static page with a a voting button if I have not vote on it before. is that normal?

Like # people like this
Amanda Olson April 26, 2019

I am also having this issue 

Like Caleb_Ferguson likes this
Caleb_Ferguson April 30, 2019

+1

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2019

@AbdAlrahman AlaaEldeen 

What type of project are you trying to enable voting on? 

You are on Atlassian Cloud correct? 

@Amanda Olson & @Caleb_Ferguson 

Does the solution above these comments not work for you either? 

What types of projects are each of you trying to enable voting on? 

If there are similarities this could be some sort of bug that needs to be reported to Atlassian directly. 

Thanks! 

AbdAlrahman AlaaEldeen May 5, 2019

Hi @Brittany Wispell 

Yes I am on Atlassian Cloud, using software project!

Should i check different type?

Amanda Olson May 10, 2019

I am also on Cloud with a software project. I have tried the above fixes and they haven't worked for me. 

AbdAlrahman AlaaEldeen May 25, 2019

@Brittany Wispell  Sorry for sending here again, but is there any update about this point?

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2019

Hi @AbdAlrahman AlaaEldeen 

Have you tried the different type of project to see if it is only not working in the software projects? 

Sorry for the late reply. 

Karan Mathur June 6, 2019

Hello @Brittany Wispell , I am using a Jira cloud as well. I have checked my permission settings and they match the steps provided in the above thread.

I'm still unable to find the voting options. I have also checked to see whether I had not included it in the issue layout and I could not find an option to include voting there.

Do you think this is causing the issue?

If yes, how would you suggest we add voting as an issue field?

Eric June 17, 2019

Hello, I had the same issue - thus saw this thread of discussion.

On Jira Cloud today, I have been able to find the vote button back in an issue view ... using the 'old view'.

Perhaps it is that the recent view of an issue does not contain currently the 'vote' options

Hope this helps

Andy Heem July 2, 2020

Same issue for me and same outcome as Eric. I can see the vote option in old view but not new. Has this been solved yet?

Like Andreas Link likes this
0 votes
afdy June 19, 2020

+1

0 votes
Cem Karaca June 10, 2020

+1

Urszula Czopowik August 18, 2021

d

Suggest an answer