How to Display the Parent Epics of Subtasks

Max Kabilafkas May 25, 2022

Hi

I'm looking for solutions on how to display all my tasks and subtasks by their associated Epics.

I realize that Subtasks do not natively link to Epics but have not been able to find a work around that works for me yet.

Currently I use a pie chart gadget on my dashboard, but as you can see below, all my subtasks get filed under "Irrelevant" rather than their parent Epic.

PIe Chart.PNG

Is there a way to get around this?  Possibly by creating a custom statistic that pulls in the EpicLink for tasks and the ParentEpic for Subtasks?

Thanks in advance

2 answers

0 votes

Further to this - using the parentEpic command in a JQL filter looks to pull in both tasks and subtasks correctly.  Is there a way to use parentEpic in a pie chart?  Because it doesn't come up as an option for me as one of the statistics I can use

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

Hello @Max Kabilafkas 

Welcome to the community.

Can you explain the problem you are trying to solve by getting this statistic? That might help us think of recommendations for you.

Hi Trudy

I'm really looking for different ways to visualize the work that my team has.  The way our organization is set up is that we have a number of different Epics all relating to different projects around the business.  My team will have individual tasks and sub tasks that live inside all of these different Epics.

It's really beneficial to us to be able to get a birds eye view of how much work we currently have in all the different Epics so that we can prioritize our work. 

This pie chart is one of the ways I have tried to accomplish this visualization.   Though I have similar problems with displaying lists of the tasks and subtasks as well.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events