How to Change Avatar in JIRA

Alexandria Abeyta Gomez February 6, 2019

I cannot seem to find the section to edit my avatar within JIRA, I can update my profile picture in Atlassian but this is not the same as the Avatar in JIRA. My avatar is a little ghost in JIRA and I have changed it before but I cant figure it out now. 

6 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2019

Hi! 

I have changed here

https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile

Could you check it?

Looks like it works, just curios. 

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

it does not change an avatar, just a profile picture. I cannot find the avatar part where I picked a ghost as my avatar, this section will only let me download a picture. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2019

Dear @Alexandria Abeyta Gomez,

click on the avatar icon on the bottom left. Then "Profile" (a new tab opens). Then when clicking into your current avatar picture you can change it.

So long

Thomas

it does not change an avatar, just a profile picture. I cannot find the avatar part where I picked a ghost as my avatar, this section will only let me download a picture.

Michael.Gray June 12, 2019

HI did you figure it out? That answer is marked as accepted but following the instructions only shows me how to upload a profile picture, not set an avatar. 

Lexi Pike April 27, 2020

I'm finding the same thing. You used to be able to select from a number of cartoon avatars (cat, owl, ghost) - now I can only find an option to add a photo. Shame, not sure why this was removed.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user February 6, 2019

Hi @Alexandria Abeyta Gomez,

The documentation states you can update your avatar via id.atlassan.com, though I have found there to be a few minor issues with profile image updates not updating. 

Hope this helps

0 votes
graham.pearman July 27, 2022

Not sure why the admins are unable to answer your question.

I had the same issue - I just went here - snipped an image and uploaded that:
https://dribbble.com/shots/2084099/attachments/2084099-Avatars-Atlassian?mode=media

Caio Henrique Costa Nunes August 9, 2022

Did you manage to solve it? 

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2021

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all safe and well!

The Atlassian account profile changed a lot since this question was posted, so I’m jumping in on this thread to share with you that now it’s possible to change the avatar color and initials directly on your profile.

To use this new feature, please, access your profile on  https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility.

Click on your Avatar > Create initials avatar.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 15.28.56.png 

There are seven different colors and you can use up to four characters.

Screen Recording 2021-10-22 at 03.30.58 PM.gif

Kind regards,
Angélica

Tiffany J October 24, 2022

I believe many of us have done this part already, but what we are asking is how to have the icon next to our comments changed to a picture.  I have a profile pic and initials both set up, my picture shows inside my private groups page but not publicly. Despite the setting stating it is set to public.  When replying to questions my initials are the only thing that show up, not the picture.  However on your responses your picture does show up.  How do we change ours to show the same way?  See my initials in blue but yours is showing a pic in the picture below

Capture.JPG

Like Worm Awsome likes this
0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2019

Suggest an answer