How secure is Jira Software for use in Australia?

Jen July 18, 2019

My team and I are keen to use Jira Software for project management but have a few concerns about security. Some of our questions are: 

1. Who is the vendor of Jira?

2. Is Jira hosted in Australia, and if not, how can I host it in Australia?

3. Is Jira administered by foreign nationals?

4. What is the connection to the cloud services provider (Amazon Web Services?)?

5. Has it been hardened using vendor, Australian Signals Directorate or other advice, guidance or templates?

3 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2019

Hey Jen - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I think you will find that Jira meets all of your criteria - even to the point that they are an Australian company! Granted they also have offices around the world and more than 3,000 employees. 

I also imagine there are other Australian government customers supported by Jira. :-)

1 vote
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2019

Hi @Jen

This will be a good read I think: https://www.atlassian.com/trust

This covers Cloud and Data Center - there is a Server option also where you can host Jira locally within your organisation.

There are Atlassian Partner that can help setup and administer Jira on your behalf - or your company could purchase it directly and self-service, its up to you! See more about Atlassian partners in your locale here: https://www.atlassian.com/partners

Ste

0 votes
Robert Battam November 4, 2023

If you host in Atlassian Cloud, and pin the data residency to Australia. It meets the highest level of certification withing Australian Government Hosting Framework (because it is hosted with AWS Australia, who holds 'srtategic' certification level).  Just pin your cloud app instance to the Australia Region, and you will be using Oz government level certified hosting guidelines.

Suggest an answer