How restore the production database schema but not the issues into UAT

Richard Lucas November 11, 2020

I want to be able to import everything via the XML export/import process from production to UAT. But without the issues.

Ie - there will be a Jira system that replicates production in terms of workflows, projects, custom fields, structures, minus the issues.

How do I edit the XML files to acheive that?

1 answer

1 vote
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2020

@Richard Lucas, out of the box  this isn't possible. If you want a system without any issues in it, there are  a couple of options. 

1. Perform the restore and then use Bulk delete functions to delete the issues.
  2. Use a paid  add on such as Project Configurator for Jira or Configuration Manager for Jira. Each of these can transfer just the configurations, although there are some things that may not be transferred such as group memberships.

Thanks,

Kian

Richard Lucas November 11, 2020

@Kian Stack Mumo Systems  Thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated. Its I'd hoped it would be an identifiable section(s) in the XML and just remove them.

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2020

Perhaps there is a way to do that through the XML, but I certainly don't know how!

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2020

May I ask why the issues should be neglected?

I saw several requirements in the past:

• we want to let a broad amount of admins to UAT, those should not see sensitive data - no matter what
    -OR-
  • we only want to allow sensitive data in protected live environments, not UAT (per decision / live environments protected better then UAT)
    -OR-
  • we want to minimize amount of data transported during replication as it has to be fast (fastest as possible)

Is is ok as per the requirement at all if the issues are deleted on destination? In some cases it might be prohibited to transport them (even encrypted) to delete them later from disk of UAT system.

Depending on the intention the approaches differ a bit - so if you could share the intention we might be able to advise further on how to go from there.

Suggest an answer