How does the Big Picture add-on differ from JIRA Portfolio

Crystal Jones June 17, 2015

I haven't installed this yet to test it out because I am unsure how this is different from JIRA Portfolio.. The description (and PRICE) of this add-on looks so similar, I have to ask.. Can anyone offer an answer??

4 answers

3 votes
Matthew Jagiello
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2015

Hi,

Due to high demand, we have prepared an official Confluence dedicated solely to clear comparisons of our products to other Marketplace offerings.

https://softwareplant.atlassian.net/wiki/display/COMPARE/

It features both a Gantt plugin section (for BigGantt), and a Project Portfolio Management section (for BigPicture). Obviously, if there are any questions we're happy to answer them, this is just for convenience and general overview.

Mark de Bont January 9, 2020

FYI: the comparison is written down by the creators of Big Picture

Like # people like this
Sofia Quintero December 16, 2020

Hello @Matthew Jagiello i can´t access to Confluence for reading comparisons. Is it still available? 

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 16, 2020

Hello @Sofia Quintero

Please, look at the article from the SoftwarePlant blog - BigPicture, Jira Align, Advanced Roadmaps (Portfolio), or Aha! – which one to choose?

Then if you have more questions regarding BigPicture - just let me know. 

Best,
Anna

Like Sofia Quintero likes this
2 votes
Henk Keuris September 22, 2017

I've been using Portfolio for Jira for a while now, and really love it. However, it does frequently have some scheduling decisions that doesn't make sense, and troubleshooting them is sometimes really frustrating.

In one such frustrating event, I decided to install Bigpicture (all their addons, Gant, Enterprise, the works, as I work in a rather large company).

My feelings were that Bigpicture really tried hard to replicate Microsoft Project. Eventhing they do, related and looked very much like MSP. This said, I found the interface confusing, and I couldn't pick it up easily, in order to get my plan set up and scheduled. It seems like it was just MSP in a website, but without any automated scheduling (which is, to me at least, the one killer feature of Portfolio for Jira, that makes me want to go with it, rather than any other tool). Portfolio for Jira seems to be enhanced really quickly, and I see recently they've been spending time to explain their scheduling decisions better, so I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before they'll improve this enough, so that your troubleshooting becomes less frustrating.

My vote, even if the frustrations included, Portfolio for Jira.

M Vijay Kumar December 10, 2019

Hi, 

We are evaluating Jira Portfolio and Big Picture and seems like two plug-ins have most of the features in common and very hard to understand which one to pick up, Based on your experience can you help us understand which one suits better for large enterprises.

Thanks,

VJ

sandeepsai January 26, 2020

Hi Vijay Kumar,

have you got the solution which one to use, for large organization ?

we are currently using Portfolio for jira, and evaluating if we can use Big Picture but still confused, can you suggest something on this ?

M Vijay Kumar January 26, 2020

Hi Sandeep, 

We are still evaluating as we are missing major features from both add-ons;

From Big Picture: 

-> Capacity Planning is not available at sprint level 

-> unable to assign tasks to individuals as we are unable to see the same 

-.> Expected velocity is based ( Story points -> Hours) Conversion 

-> teams can be created in BP but cannot be ported over to Jira 

From Portfolio: 

-> Expected velocity at Team level and sprint level is available 

-> Individual capacity is not available 

-> Teams can be created and they are portfolio Specific 

our requirements doesn't suite any add-ons so we are still thinking .. 

Thanks,

VJ

Like # people like this
2 votes
Crystal Jones June 19, 2015

Wanted to update this that I have since gotten some FANTASTIC responses from the authors of the BigPicture plugin.. Will be installing and comparing it to JIRA Portfolio so that my company can make a final decision here.. Will share my findings in case anyone else is searching for this information..

Christian Vind July 8, 2015

Hi Crystal, In our organization we are currently evaluating BigPicture as well. Can you give us some insight in your evaluation of the two products against each other? Thanks, Jakob

0 votes
Crystal Jones June 17, 2015

Received this response:

"Hello,

Thanks for contacting us! These 2 plugins are widely different, in fact the only thing they have in common is the "project portfolio management" concept. For starters, BigPicture features best-in-class Gantt charts, which JIRA Portfolio does not even have. The interfaces, modules, workflows and available options are all different in every single detail.

The prices also differ. In fact, none of the prices of these 2 plugins is the same. BigPicture is exactly or nearly twice cheaper than JIRA Portfolio for all licenses excluding the 10-user one.

I encourage you to try out BigPicture for yourself to see, as it really is much more than JIRA Portfolio or any other solution on the market - that's precisely why we developed it."

Unfortunately this response doesn't REALLY answer my question and only gets me part way to what I need to know..

Even IF the Big Picture "interfaces, modules, workflows and available options are all different in every single detail.", I am still not clear based on this response if FUNCTIONALLY this add-on will provide the same benefit that I was looking to get from JIRA Portfolio.. Namely this: A single, accurate view for planning and managing initiatives across multiple teams and projects in JIRA.

Automatic scheduling, capacity planning, and the power to react and change in real time.

Hoping someone can provide some thoughtful insight.

Amy Hogan August 11, 2015

Did you get any further clarity? I am also looking for a portfolio mgmt tool for Jira but we are mostly a non-agile shop.

eiger3970 April 18, 2016

Please see some issues I would feedback on. I'm new to Jira and am trying to work out where to invest my time transferring Gantt charts from old to 1 of these 2 software management tools (I typically use monthly recurring tasks, however software development is now also starting):

Surprisingly permissions and setting due dates have been the most difficult so far.

I think Portfolio for JIRA might have some new age system that is better than Gantt charts, but I don't understand it yet, so need to work with trusty Gantt charts until I receive some help from the Portfolio for JIRA team.

BigPicture

Plugin for JIRA. Buggy, didn’t work. $20 10 users. Gantt chart, risk management, resource management and more.

Export to excel (or spreadsheet format, csv) available?

Does this integrate across Portfolio for Jira to see multiple projects/issues/resources/timeframes?

WBS

Gantt-Chart for JIRA. $10 10 users.

Graphics seem basic.

Risks, like BigPicture?

Roadmaps, like BigPicture?

I can’t set a due date?

Does this integrate across Portfolio for Jira to see multiple projects/issues/resources/timeframes?

Support/feedback needed.
Matthew Jagiello
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2016

Replied on e-mail:

WBS is a bit tricky, because it's a competing solution and one that I obviously do not know as good as its authors - though I did have a good long luck at it and personally found it terrible for the following reasons: https://softwareplant.atlassian.net/wiki/display/COMPARE/WBS+Gantt-Chart

Focusing on our tool:

Export to excel (or spreadsheet format, csv) available?

Yes. Also to MS Project if needed.

Does this integrate across Portfolio for Jira to see multiple projects/issues/resources/timeframes

BigPicture does not integrate with JIRA Portfolio, but rather replaces it, as you can create a Program that pulls multiple (or even all) your projects and allows you to manage them.

eiger3970 April 21, 2016

Yes, I have received good responses from Big Picture who clarified BigPicture, JIRA for Portfolio and WBS. Thanks, working with BigPicture for now.

larry kilo January 18, 2017

Would it have any impact on my Jira service and performance  

jackson.wolfe February 13, 2019

Can Jira Portfolio and Big Picture/BigGantt coexist?  I have agile programs that want to use Jira Portfolio, however there is a higher level in the organization that wants to visualize cross-product initiatives in BigGantt.  Would it be possible to have an initiative in Jira Portfolio that connects to a higher-level initiative visible in BigGantt?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer