How does app licenses apply ?

Jeevan Prasad Sekar July 31, 2020

We have around 50 confluence users, 40 Jira software cloud users, 20 Jira service desk users and 10 Jira core users. A total of 120 users. 

40 Jira software users are from the software team which includes developers, testers and business analysts etc. If I want to buy a test management app like Zephyr or TM4J, would I be billed for 40 users or 120 users? 

I tried using Zephyr trial version and I see the Zephyr tab on the left menu appear for all products including Jira core, Jira Service Desk etc.. Does that mean, I will be paying for 120 users? 

In short, I want only users in Jira software to use Zephyr/TM4J and I want to get billed only for them. Is this possible? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

First, separate out the servers. 

You have Confluence, which is moderately simple - you've got about 50 users so I would guess you have either a 50 user or 100 user licence for that.  If you were adding apps to Confluence, it is simple - your app needs to be licenced at the same level as Confluence is (or, if you're happy to burn money, higher)

You then have Jira, which is not simple, because it has "applications" and you can do things like 50 Jira Core, 100 Jira Software and 5 Service Desk agents, which means up to 155 independent users.

For apps running on top on a Jira system, the price is matched to the highest of the three applications, not the total.  In my example, you don't look for 155 users for an app, the applications are 50, 100 and 5, the highest is 100, so all your apps need to be licenced at 100.

How many people actually use an app is irrelevant to the licencing, you need to licence it at the tier of your largest application.

0 votes
Felicia Menten July 31, 2020

You'll most likely be billed at whatever level your Jira license is at, unfortunately.  For us, we have about 20 people who use TM4J, but we have to buy the "unlimited" level license because that's what our Jira Server is.    It may be different for Jira Cloud or Data Center, I'm not familiar with their licensing model.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events