How does a board form a list of users to filter?

Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich September 8, 2022

I have an unexpected behavior of the Jira Scrum board. I use a specific filter for the board to filter issues on it, based on 'Assignee in ()' rule. It means that I would like to see issues assigned to a particular list of users, nothing else. And results look fine.

But when I open the board I see a list of users I can use as Assignee filter. And I don't understand why some users are in this list. Ok, I am fine with 'Unassigned' while in the filter I don't show unassigned issues at all. But in the list here I also see a user that is not in my filter, so there are no issues assigned to them on the board. Why he is there then? Because I have only one extra user plus 'Unassigned' here. Not all the users of the project.

Could anyone explain to me how it works, please?

filter.png

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2022

By "assignee filter", I think you are looking at the default "quick filters" that some boards have.

These are there to allow you to filter by possible assignees for the issues on the board.  They're not looking at the actual assignees on the issues, 

Does that match up with what you are seeing?  Or is it totally wrong (if wrong, please could you show us a worked example - a look at an assignee selection that returns no issues and can't be assigned any issues on the board)

Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich September 8, 2022

I mean the following filter. Here I see +1 user from what the filter returns. And this is not all potential assignees in the project.

filter.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

What is the board filter for though?

Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich September 9, 2022

assignee in (<user1>, <user2>, <user3>, <user4>, <user5>, <user6>) AND project = DEAD order by created DESC

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2022

So your extra assignee could be an assignee, but isn't in your selection?

Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich September 12, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Actually all employees (all users of the project) could be an assignee, not only this extra one. And you are correct, he is not in the selection, but I see him in the filter. But only him, not any of other 30+ potential assignees

Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich September 19, 2022

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events