How do change project type?

Deleted user May 6, 2021

Hello, are there more project types available. I do want to structure my business plan with jira, but my project is called "software project". Is it possible to change it to "hardware project" or "business project"

Thank you!

Gunnar

2 answers

3 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

You would need to create a new project of the preferred type and then move all issues to this new project.

See explanation here.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Deleted user May 6, 2021

Thank you Ismael, is there list of project / preferred types which are available in Jira? No matter what I choose it is always a software project. Do you need to get a different licence in ordere to choose different project types?

Thank you!

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

While creating the new project, you should be presented with an option to select project type you want to create. See image below:
Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 18.14.43.png

This depends on what applications you have installed, see lower left section of the page.

Switching the option on the right section, changes the project templates offered to you and in essence the project type created.
Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 18.16.39.pngScreenshot 2021-05-06 at 18.16.56.png

I hope this helps.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

On the second part of the question, no, there are a fixed set of project types you can create in Jira. 

These are determined by the code, and they refer purely to the Jira application that generates them.  The names are derived from the name of the group of Jira functionality that the projects are going to be using, not necessarily what the actual projects are for!

So, the types you might see are pretty much Business (from Jira Core, which you always have), Software (from Jira Software) and Service Management (from Jira Service Management/Desk)

I know of plenty of people using all three types for things that they don't describe - the obvious one is JSM being used to do buildings maintenance, which does make a lot of sense (Coffee machine bust?  Raise a Jira request!), but then you go to the slightly more unusual ones - a Software project being used to plan a wedding for example (I'd have started that with a Business project myself, but it actually worked a lot better with a Software project!), a Service Desk project used for cataloguing model railway sets, a Business project used to manage a house extension building project and so-on.

More could be added - you'll notice that JSM and Software projects become available when you add the relevant applications to your Core Jira install.  No-one has written anything that injects a fourth, but I'm sure we could (at least for Server/DC).

TLDR: those three types are not for describing projects really, they're for telling Jira what set of functions the project is supposed to be using.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events