How do I setup a Client-Facing Board?

Michael Perretta March 10, 2021

We have a client that we are tracking issues through our Jira SDLC process and we are tracking the items for their review on a spreadhsheet. I have heard that there is a way to create a client-facing view/access to our board to view issues.

I would not want them to be able to edit our tickets. They should be able to report on the issues based on status.

How would we give them access?

How would we need to setup Jira to make sure they can see all their issues?

How can we setup Jira so the client is not seeing issues we don't want them to see? This would be items we are using internally for testing or development etc and the client isn't concerned about.

Maybe "Teams" is a way to go - any suggestions on this as to how we would invite in a member from the client side giving them limited insight?

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2021

@Michael Perretta - Welcome to the community. 

You can do this two ways.

1. Allow anonymous access to your instance and project.  This will allow anyone to see the issues, which I am guessing is not what you want. https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/allow-anonymous-access-to-projects/
  2. Setup accounts for the client and provide them access to the project.  Depending on how you have your instance setup you might have to adjust some permissions on other projects to prevent the client from seeing those.  I would suggest setting up a test account and making sure that the the test account can only see what you would like the client to see and then provide the same permissions to the client accounts.
Michael Perretta March 11, 2021

Thanks @Brant Schroeder . I am working with my Jira Admins to get a test user setup so that I can try a few of your suggestions.. I know in our Jira on-prem before we were able to make users Browse only and I wonder if there is a way on Cloud to do the same. Even with Browse only there would still only be certain areas I would want to allow the client to be.

Hope I can test this and provide an update.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2021

Yes you can do the same.  It sounds like you are heading down the best path to ensure proper security is in place.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events