How do I set the "Assignee" field as non-required?

Vinicius Correia June 21, 2021

Hi all, I have done some searches here at the Atlassian Community forum and I did find some questions similar to this one, but they have answered a long time ago (more than 6 years back), and on top of that, the solutions that were described were not useful to me.

So, I am basically trying to change the "Assignee" field from mandatory to optional, but I don't know how to do it. I need to do that because I am using X-Ray(Test Management Tool for JIRA) and I'm trying to make the "Sub-Test Execution" button to become visible.

I have spoken to the X-Ray's customer support guys and they told me the following:
"You do not see the "Create Sub Test Execution" button because you have the Assignee Field set as Required. However, if you define it as Optional, you'll be able to see the button.

This problem is really a limitation from Jira that does not allow us to connect that button's action to the screen of creating a Sub Test Execution when Required Fields are checked.

Currently, you can't make the Assignee a Required with field configurations. Your only option is to use some validators in the workflow. Can you please ask your Jira Admin to check the workflows? Either that or you can, or you can be using another plugin to achieve this, like JSU Automation Suite for Jira Workflows.
"

I tried to play around with the workflow transitions validators, but it seems there is no way to make a required field become optional, I just can create a validation to make sure that a required was filled.

Any ideas on how to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

Yes, it looks like the field configuration to me, but there is one other thing to check - the go to Admin -> General configuration and check the "allow unassigned issues".  If this is set to "off", you will not be able to leave the field empty (and displaying "unassigned"), it will behave as though it is mandatory no matter what you do with the field configuration and workflows.

Where can I find this screen? I am not the JIRA Admin, and the fellow who is helping me does not know where it is. Could u send a screenshot, please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

You don't get offered it unless you are an admin.  It really is just Admin -> General configuration.  Click the settings (admin) cog at the top right and select the "system" option, partly described as "general configuration".  Should be the default section shown, but if not, check the list of sections on the left, or just use the admin search menu to find it.

Like Vinicius Correia likes this

Done! I just helped my friend to find it. After having activated this option the X-Ray "Create Sub-Test Execution" is being displayed.
Thank you @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  @Jack Brickey  @Deepanshu Natani 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

I suspect that you have they assignee field set to required in your associated field configuration or possibly a validator on the issue create transition of your workflow. Can you check both of these?

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

Hi @Vinicius Correia 

Can you confirm if you are using any third-party application like "JSU Automation" to make the Assignee field as required?

Hello @Deepanshu Natani

No, I am not using third-party applications to do that.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

In that case, have you been able to find the validator which is being used to make the Assignee field as required?

Isn't the Assignee field required by default?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

no it is not normally. it seems maybe someone has made it required in your scheme.

Ok @Jack Brickey , I see. Screen Scheme or Workflow scheme?

Screenshot_1.jpgScreenshot_2.jpgScreenshot_3.jpg

Like Alex likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events