How do I set the default value of a custom field programatically through Jira's REST API?

Anh-Minh Nguyen January 23, 2018

I am trying to add a "Message Custom Field (for view)" to my project. I am able to create the custom field through the REST API, but I am unable to set the default value programmatically. Since this is a read-only field, it will not be displayed unless the default value is defined.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2018

Hi Anh-Minh,

I believe you're running into the limitation from the API.  Take a look at the Suggestion Add, edit, or delete custom fields in REST API:

At the moment, it's possible to get some info by retrieving editmeta :

http://example.com:8080/jira/rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/editmeta

But you cannot add, edit, or delete custom fields via JIRA REST API (as you can in the admin section).

The Suggestion includes a workaround that may work for you:

The third party plugin Jira Customfield Editor provides REST endpoints for the CRUD operations on custom fields.

Please be sure to vote on the issue to add impact and add your use case to the comments.

Cheers,

Branden

Anh-Minh Nguyen January 24, 2018

Hi Branden,

Thank you for the response! I was hoping that your response would be different :/

While looking for other possibilities, I discovered the "Text Field (read only)" custom field. The description says that the value for this field can only be set programmatically. I tried setting the value via POST and PUT calls but was unsuccessful. Can you help explain what type of language I would need to set the value for this custom field?

Thank you in advance for your time.

A-M

bilel.arfaoui September 28, 2023

If you are using JSON the request body should be like this : 

{
"fields": {
"customfield_12345": "your text field value here.."
}
}

Suggest an answer