How do I search for exact order of words in a string of text in Jira Issue navigator filter?

Sindhu Pullapantula May 30, 2022

In Jira Issue navigator, in search issues, I am trying to filter all the "in progress" work items which have the exact title "Content Development - Release Note". However, i am getting the results with mixed answers like "Content Development - Patch Release Note" and "User Assistance Content Development - Release Note".

I am using Jira Cloud. Please let me know if there is any pattern in JQL which I can use for my scenario.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2022

Hi @Sindhu Pullapantula 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There is an open ticket on Atlassian for this purpose: JRACLOUD-21372 

Don't forget to vote/watch the issue!

Sindhu Pullapantula May 30, 2022

Thank you Tucany!

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2022

Pleasure!

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2022

Hi @Sindhu Pullapantula

As you're on Jira Cloud, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

Using this query will show exactly the issue you want with the status “in progress” 

issue in regex("summary", "^Content Development - Release Note.*") and status = "In Progress" 

Check out the documentation for more examples.
I hope this helps!
Maurício

Sindhu Pullapantula June 1, 2022

Thank you Maurício! This is very helpful.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 31, 2022

Hi @Sindhu Pullapantula

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you can perform this filter easily in JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing and inline-editing all your issue fields. It also supports column sorting and filtering, just as you may be familiar with from Excel or Google Sheets. As this filtering uses a different architecture and technology from JQL, exact matches work as expected:

exact-search.gif

See here for the full syntax. It's worth noting that JXL can do much more than that: From bulk editing via copy/paste, to inline issue creation, to support for issue hierarchies, issue grouping, and sum-ups. Disclaimer: I work on JXL :)

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Sindhu Pullapantula May 31, 2022

Thank you Hannes! I will definitely explore JXL.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events