How do I mark a child issue as done?

Geoff Whiting March 13, 2024

This might seem like a simple thing, but I can't find the options that Jira's help lists.

I'm trying to make some child issues assigned to me as done, but I don't see how.

So, I've got a task like this:
Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 4.35.40 PM.png
I've completed the editing and CMS upload and want to make those complete. But when I click through on the task, what I see is:

Untitled design.png

I have no idea what feature to use to mark things as complete. When I click that blue "Editing" button there is a "Complete" option but that doesn't actually mark things off on the child issues list.

Only thing I can think of is that the "Reporter" is another team member, so maybe they have the option to mark as done, and I don't?

Feels like I'm missing something obvious, so please let me know what it is.
Thank you very much for any help!

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2024

Welcome to the community, @Geoff Whiting. You're right. This should be easy.  It seems to me someone has customized your Jira configuration in a way that's causing it to not be so easy.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 5.51.40 PM.png

Have you tried checking with your Jira administrator?  It may have something to do with a custom setting, or workflow.

Hope this helps,

-dave

Well, at least I'm not crazy. Thank you @Dave Rosenlund and @Mark Segall for the help on this one! I'll drop a note to our admin. 

Cheers

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2024

You're welcome.  Let us know how you make out.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2024

Hi @Geoff Whiting and welcome to the community!

By design, child issues are treated as actions that are completed individually in support of a parent issue.  So they do not automatically complete when the parent is completed. 

If your working process is that you simply use them as a non-actionable checklist, you could potentially leverage an automation rule to resolve all child issues upon resolution of your parent issue.

Hey Mark, thanks and that makes sense. I believe my question is even more basic than you're thinking, unfortunately.

It really boils down to: where on the page of a child issue can I mark it as complete/done?

When I search for this, Jira's suggested help page tells me to select the checkbox for it and select the Transition element, but neither of those appear on the pages I'm looking at.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2024

Agree with @Dave Rosenlund.  It seems like something is up with your workflow. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events