How do I fix epic(s) from appearing as unlabelled?

tina.raftopoulos May 13, 2021

I've created a Jira Board Company wide and imported project(s) that are team board into the company wide board. However when I create a new Epic, the epic is displayed in the company wide board as "unlabelled-<projectname>-<projectnumber>" and the issues displayed is always 0. Therefore I cannot use the Jira Company wide board to sort through the appropriate issues and its frustrating.

image - shows the unlabelled EPIC with 0 issues, but there is 1 issue, when you select LUI-183 and open it outside into its own board (team managed) it displays.

See image 2.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 1.15.34 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-14 at 1.15.43 pm.png

3 answers

2 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2021

Hi @tina.raftopoulos

adding to the great information Linda already gave to help you I found a bug which documents this behaviour:

At the time of writing these lines the bug has 28 votes and 36 watchers.

Please consider adding yourself to the bug mentioned in order to signalize this bug is impacting your work and of importance to your team.

From a personal view: because the bug is not gaining traction as of now I'd also suggest the steps Linda mentioned.

Regards,
Daniel

tina.raftopoulos May 23, 2021

thanks @Daniel Ebers I have switched all my boards to company wide boards instead of team and it fixes the problem. 

Judith Vorster
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 6, 2022
Hi, I am battling with the same problem. I just want to check that I understand the workaround correctly? 

Firstly, I should ensure that the project in which I'm going to create my Epics, is a company managed project and not a team managed project. The project JIRA Admin will have to allow me to change the Epic Name setting on the project Epics.

Then, I can create Epics in that project. Each time I create an Epic, I have to and manually update the Epic Name to match the Epic subject line.

I can then add JIRAs from multiple projects to that Epic - JIRAs belonging to both team- or company managed projects (as long as the Epic belongs to a company managed project).

Is that correct?
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2022

Hi @Judith Vorster

Firstly, I should ensure that the project in which I'm going to create my Epics, is a company managed project and not a team managed project.

...yes, this seems to be the most relevant part.

Then, I can create Epics in that project. Each time I create an Epic, I have to and manually update the Epic Name to match the Epic subject line.

That is a good idea, however, it seems to be optional. For the bug it seems to have no specific relevance.

I can then add JIRAs from multiple projects to that Epic - JIRAs belonging to both team- or company managed projects (as long as the Epic belongs to a company managed project).

This is something that was not tested right now on my side, but you could double check and confirm. Indeed important it seems to be Epics reside in a Company Managed Project.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes

@Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ I am unsure if I migrate it to company managed, can one company manage, use filters to grab in other projects that are also company managed? 

Is there an easy way to migrate from one to the other? Any info over that would be amazing.

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 13, 2021

You can migrate between team managed and company managed. Check out:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

I suggest if you want to do this you create a test project, that looks like your team managed project, add the same issues with fields as configured in your current project, and try copying it into a test company managed project. Make sure you know what things need to be configured in the new project and how the process will work before you do the move.

yep, I was thinking the same thing to do a test first. it's so annoying though because basically it all works except for the epics, which causes issue for when grooming backlog from the combined company board. it's a shame Jira doesn't fix this issue, but thanks so much for sending this info through.

Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 13, 2021

Did you see me comment above? Did you try searching for Epic name in the previously created fields, search field in the bottom right hand corner?

Did that return anything?

0 votes
Solutions Partner
May 13, 2021

It looks like the field "Epic Name" has the value unlabelled-LUI-183. I have had issues with this in the past - the Epic Name is not required for Team Managed, but is needed for Company Managed. So you will need to populate that field with the value you want. You (or your jira admin) may need to make this field available for you to use.

@Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ thanks for responding. it displays directly in that board without any issues, so unsure how do you make it "available to use" is there something specific we would need to enable?

The other issue is even if I manually populate it which would be a pain, I still cannot see how many issues attached, as it says "0", despite there being multiple issues attached to an epic.

Solutions Partner
May 13, 2021

If I'm understanding your screen shots - you are using the epics from a team managed project? If you look at the equivalent in a company managed project you have two fields that are used:

epics.jpg

And this will translate to:

epic backlog view.jpg

If you try to view a team managed epic in a company managed context you will not see the Epic Name field populated. You need to make the "Epic Name" field available in your team managed project - your jira admin should be able to help you with this.

Solutions Partner
May 13, 2021

Correction. Looks like you cant add that field to a team managed project. So you will need to find another way - can you migrate it to a company managed project?

@Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ I went to the issues for the managed project, but we don't have an option for epic name on managed project, theres only a few available fields but its not applicable it seams, that's why in it's own project it uses the same description from epic name and epic name summary. As an admin, it's the same view though. Any ideas around this?

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.34.41 pm.png

Solutions Partner
May 13, 2021

Did you try searching for Epic Name in the bottom right hand corner? If you can find it you should be able to add it in.

tina.raftopoulos May 14, 2021

@Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ yep I checked but there is none.  they only allow the create a field options at the top, I used search fields but its the same problem. I think we may need to convert the board, but ill do a test next week and see how it goes.

Solutions Partner
May 14, 2021

Sorry. I'm not aware of other options. Good luck with it and let me know how you go!!

😁👍

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events