How do I customise the issue key for my project?

PWS Dev April 1, 2019

Let's say the name of my project in JIRA is XYZ

The default way JIRA assigns issue key numbers for this project is XYZ-1, XYZ-2 and so on.

I would like to customise this based on some other criteria. Is this possible? Like also adding a component name to the issue key?

One example of requirement for the format is <PROJECT>-<COMPONENT>-#.

So, XYZ-SERVER-1 is a custom format I'm looking for - is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Rama

3 answers

1 vote
Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

Hi @PWS Dev 

All issue id's are formatted with the key of the project followed by the next available number like XYZ-1.

Adding something like a component name to the issue key is therefor not possible.

Regards

Dave

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

Hello @PWS Dev 

I have implemented something similar to what you want.

First of all as @Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_  mentioned, it's not possible to modify issue key of an project and also it's not recommended as issue key is a combination of project key and a number.

If you want to append Component in your issue key like this

<PROJECT>-<COMPONENT>-#.

Then you should use the concept of "scripted fields" , I use the paid plugin Script runner for this.

When the issue screen loads the scripted field auto-calculates the custom issue key and is displayed as part of the scripted field, and the best part is that you can also query for scripted fields.

Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

Hi @Tarun Sapra 

I could be wrong here. But you would just create a new field this way and you do not modify the issuekey itself. So it's a workaround. 

But it is a nice solution and will probably be the "next best thing" if someone would need something like a custom issue key. 

Regards

Dave

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

Hello @Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_ 

Yes, for the approach I have suggested, it requires an creation of an scripted field. As out of the box it's not feasible to implement the original requirement, but since this kind of requirement is not uncommon hence the suggestion for an alternate. 

0 votes
Tushar.Kamble April 1, 2019

Suggest an answer