How do I create sample data?

Daniel Vaca April 12, 2021

I'm following the instructions listed in the Documentation for "Explore a sample project" but I don't see an option to Create sample data. Did the UI Change? Am I looking at an older documentation?

Here are the steps I'm following:

1. Go to Project>Create project
  2. Click on "Select Classic"
  3. Set Name to "Sample Project" and template to "Scrum" (I don't see an option to create sample data)
  4. Click Create (I don't see an option to create sample data)
  5. New project is created and automatically takes me to an empty Kanban Board titled Active Sprint. But I don't see and option to create sample data here either.

What am I missing?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Daniel Vaca,

The functionality is available, but it is in a weird place to say the least. From any existing project, navigate to the Boards list and select Create Board from the menu. You will be offered this dialog screen:

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 16.54.27.pngThe blue links are what you are looking for. They will create a project with the associated board of your choice AND sample data.

Hope this helps! 

Andy Crowther January 14, 2022

Is this now out-dated information?  It doesn't appear as explained here. Thanks.

Like # people like this
Billy Pang January 16, 2022

New as you.

Have founding to this option for an hour, and finally. Hope this helps.

2022-01-17 10_41_42-SSP board - Agile Board - Jira.png

Like # people like this
Linus Hellgren September 5, 2022

For some reason I missed that it was under,

->"Your work"
/-> "Boards"
//-> "View all boards"

And that let me on a wild goose chase on the internet, strongly recommend to follow the previous guides. Once you land on the "View all boards" page, you have a "Create board" on the top right, only if you create boards from here you seem to have the option to add sample data.

Like # people like this
bitmoin October 7, 2022

Thank you very much, finally I could find it with your help

Angela law June 26, 2023

2023 this no longer is the case I can't find the sample data link.  I have increased my permissions to being "god" like powers for my admin person.  Still done' see it.
jira.png

Anyone can help me?  I researched a couple of hours and the step by step guide below is no longer valid

Permissions look like this for my admin user.

jira2.png

Linus Hellgren June 26, 2023

Hi Angela,

It seem you get stuck where i did too, you must go the right path to get the sample data option available;

To guide.png

So as long as you follow the right way to navigate to create you get the option of using sample data.

to guide2.png

Warm regards

Like Michael Rosile likes this
Angela law June 26, 2023

@Linus Hellgren Thanks so much!!!!! that did it :)

Like Linus Hellgren likes this
0 votes
Dheeraj Kumar Aggarwal October 5, 2022

It seems, sample data generation links are visible to admin user only. I have also faced this issue, so I have written a step by step article on the same:

https://optimizory.atlassian.net/l/cp/3XPXYEYR

Suggest an answer