How do I create a scheduled automation for a subtask based on the creation date of a story?

Allison Hoellrich April 29, 2024

I have found in automatons where you can schedule for every few days, weeks,... or a specific date. However, this doesnt help me as i need to generate sub task tickets that are created from the date the story was created.

ie. need to have an automation that will populate a every 2 weeks and a year from the date listed 

story 1: created may 1

story 2: created June 12

story 3: created June 27

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2024

Hi @Allison Hoellrich 

Without seeing the specifics of your automation rule...

There are various date / time functions that may be used to increment (or decrement) by a specific amount.  Please look here to learn more: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-date-and-time/

If that does not help, please post images of your complete rule, the actions editing the date fields, and the audit log details showing the rule execution.  Those will provide context for the community to offer suggestions.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Allison Hoellrich May 2, 2024

Hi Bill,

I was following the steps on the page "JIRA auto creation of ticket" which do work but is not exactly what I was looking for.

I need to generate the subtask ticket based on the date the story was created. Each stories date would be different. Need to automate for every 2 weeks and annual.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2024

Please post an image of your complete rule and audit log details showing the rule execution.  Those will provide context to help with suggestions.  Thanks!

Until we see that...

The scheduled trigger is the easy part: just pick your frequency.  But, you do not describe for which issues you want to add subtasks.

If the issues match some criteria, you could write a JQL statement to find them, and use that with the trigger or a rule branch.

Once the issues are identified, using their create date to influence the subtask creation is easy: just use that smart value: {{issue.created}}

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events