How could I manage user access, anonymous access and IP filtering?

Emilie January 22, 2021

We have Jira Software (Server) 100 users (v8.7.1):
- the 100 users can access and use Jira normally
- the rest of our employees can access Jira with anonymous access

We open our projects/tickets to "anyone on the web" and protect the access via IP.

We have 1 user who needs to access and use Jira (so have a user licence), who is part of an another company. And he has a range of IP different from ours.

If we authorize his IP, all the people from his company will be able to access our Jira, which we don't want.

The upgrade to 250 users is not an option for us, so I wonder if there is a way we could have this configuration:
- 99 users can use Jira (with IP1)
- the external user can use Jira (with IP 2) (100th license)
- the anonymous people with IP2 can't access Jira
- the anonymous people with IP1 can access Jira

If we allow the creation of ticket by email, how would the anonymous people get the updates or be able to see the tickets?

Thank you.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

IP whitelisting is not a system that can identify individual accounts.  All it does it allows traffic from a known place.  So you either need to open it up for everyone at the users site and work out a different access model (which won't use anonymous access) or bypass the whitelisting.

You'll need something that can identify that user before allowing them into your network.

Most simple off-the-shelf solution here is a VPN - set up a server inside your network, create a route from the outside to your VPN server and then set up a VPN account for that one remote user.

0 votes
Answer accepted
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2021

Hi @Emilie ,

How about browsing Jira through VPN. ?

i found the below old article. May be a bit helpful. Please check this

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-allow-all-users-ips-to-access-jira-server/qaq-p/659493 

Thanks.

0 votes
Emilie January 22, 2021

@KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thanks for your answers!

I know we already use a VPN internally, we may have to adapt it for the external user then - I'm going to check this.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer