How can we share a roadmap to people who don't access Jira?

Sebastien Bourguignon October 29, 2018

Hi,

We would like to share our product roadmap to users (in business teams) who don't use Jira. Is there any way to do it ?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2018

Hello @Sebastien Bourguignon,

I'm afraid you'll have to grant them access to Jira. You can allow anonymous access to a project but then anyone can access your project, and I'm not even sure roadmaps are sharable this way - I think users would only see issues, not the roadmap itself.

Atlassian doesn't provide a way to export roadmaps since they don't think it is the right way:

Once a roadmap is built, it needs to be shared with the entire product team so everyone understands the vision and direction. In many organizations, product owners create their roadmaps in PowerPoint and spreadsheets, and then email the slides and spreadsheets out to the team. While well-intentioned, this strategy is flawed from the start. Each team member has their own copy of the roadmap, and keeping everyone up to speed when and if the roadmap changes is cumbersome (to say the least).

So how can the product owner keep the team better informed? Simple.

Post the roadmap online and keep it current so the team has a single source of truth.

(see this article)

So if you can't grant them access to Jira, you'd need to take a screenshot of your roadmap and share it on Confluence/your wiki/via email.

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Sebastien Bourguignon October 29, 2018

Thanks for your answer. 

They probably miss a need as I'm sure lots of product teams need to share their roadmap to other departments who don't use Jira. Do a screenshot is rarely a good way to share it and when you look Jira competitor it is a feature that you can find.

Like # people like this
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2018

I do agree, screenshots are almost never a good idea :) your need is similar to the one to share dashboards with non-Jira users, it has been discussed many times (e.g., here or here) but you can't do it with stock Jira.

Like # people like this
9 votes
MarkM October 7, 2019

This is a real blocker to moving to roadmaps into JIra. The ideal solution would be to allow anonymous access to the roadmap via a link or on a confluence page that has been made public (anonymous access). Hiding the config bar would also help to build controlled views.

Exporting images is not a practical workflow.

Philippe Bouchard-Bourdeau February 7, 2020

Totally agree, I have to share this with people outside the software departement sometimes, and exporting a png everytime is a pain. Not only I lose time with this, but as soon as the roadmap changes, the image is getting less and less accurate.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Rene C_ _Atlassian Cloud Support_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2022

I know it's been a while since this conversation happened, but I just raised a feature request for this purpose and it would be useful to have feedback with your use cases added: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22919

Melanie Helgeson April 5, 2022

Just left a comment - this is a "must have" feature for our team to successfully use Advanced Roadmaps. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
October 29, 2018

Hi @Sebastien Bourguignon, I assume that you need to share issues information and details, aren't you? there are several ways to get information out of Jira:

• Export issues directly from the issue navigator: this will give you options to export the issues: 
  • Via printed report: print or take screenshots of the report or issues you need to share

Cheers,

David

Mario van der niet
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 17, 2024

this is not workable

Suggest an answer