How can we get a cross-project Burn Up chart in JIRA?

stu.patrick March 3, 2021

Hi,
We have multiple sprint boards across multiple projects.

I'm aware JIRA automatically offers burn down and burn up charts at sprint board level, but we're looking for a way to combine the multiple sprint boards across the projects, into one and be able to show a burn up chart which summarises the progress of all the (most likely) Epics combined across all the sprint boards.

What can be done to achieve this?

Suggestions for in-JIRA solutions or add-ons much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stu.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

Hello @stu.patrick 

Can you clarify your question a bit more?

Typically a burn down or burn up chart shows the data for a single sprint. Are you trying to combine the data for multiple sprints into a single burn up/down chart? That does not make sense to me, since sprints can have different start and end dates. How would you get a meaningful chart from that?

Or are you trying to show multiple lines (one per sprint) on a single chart that spans all the time periods of multiple sprints?

Maybe if you tell us more about how you want to use the output we will better understand what you are trying to achieve.

0 votes

Hi @Trudy Claspill

Thanks for getting back to me.

This relates purely to a burn up chart, but at a project level.

The desire is to see all requirements for the project - probably at Epic level - for all the various sprints in that proect combined into one burn up chart to allow us to track progress at a project level.

I absolutely agree that at sprint level, there will be a range of differing 'end' dates for each sprint, but at a project level there are some definite milestones - if not the ultimate project end date - to which all the sprint are aligned.

So in response to your questions there, I'd say we're trying to show a single chart that spans all the time periods of multiple sprints which sit within the overaching project.

Let me know what else would be good for me to describe to help you better understand what we're after.

Thanks,

Stu.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

Hello Stu,

I found something that seems like what you are looking for, but unfortunately it is an app that is not available for JIRA Cloud.

This article: https://www.cprime.com/resources/blog/burn-baby-burn/

...led me to this app:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211929/agile-reports-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

That lead me to searching the marketplace for other "agile reports" apps, and I found this one supported for JIRA Cloud. Maybe it has a feature that will suit your needs.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212120/agile-reports-and-gadgets?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Like stu.patrick likes this

Thanks for taking the time to investigate that Trudy - I'll take a look and see where it takes me!

Stu.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events