How can create a monthly recurring work process with Jira?

D. January 11, 2021

How can I use Jira to create a monthly recurring work process? Example:
a) Check invoice (me)
b) If invoice is incorrect, then send back to sender
c) If invoice is correct, then send invoice to person B for approval
d) If approval from B received, then send invoice to accounting dept.

How can I setup this process as a scheme in Jira and then run it on a monthly basis?

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Hello @D. 

Welcome to the community.

Are you new to JIRA, or do you already have a basic understanding of tracking task in JIRA, assigning tasks to individuals, and moving the tasks through statuses to completion?

JIRA has a built in feature call Automation that could help you automate creation of tasks in JIRA.  See

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

There are also app you can add to JIRA to help you automatically generate tasks on a based on time. My company uses this one:

Recurring Tasks for JIRA 

There are a variety of ways your needs could be satisfied in JIRA. It would be helpful for us to know more about how much you know about JIRA and for what purposes you are already using it.

D. January 12, 2021

I've followed to your documentation, but...

Step 1) "Navigate to your Automation settings and select Create rule in the top-right corner." - but where can I find "Automation settings"?

I'm totally confused: what is the difference between "workflows" and "automation"? 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

Hello @D. 

Workflows determine the different Status that a task can have, and how it can change from one status to another; i.e. To Do, In Progress, Done.

Workflows can be customized to include different statuses, to place conditions on when a task can transition from one status to another (i.e. cannot transition to In Progress unless the Assignee field has a value), to validate data as part of the transition, and to execute some functions after the transition has completed. Workflows are all based on changing the status of a task.

Automations go far beyond that. Automation can be used to create new issues, copy data between issues, set values in issues, and much more. They can be triggered by a variety of actions, not just by status transitions. The Automation setting is found under Project Settings.

Based on your question about the differences I suspect you do not have very much experience with JIRA. Is that true? Are you trying to use a JIRA Classic project or a JIRA Next-Gen project? Please provide some information about your experience level with JIRA and what, if anything, you are currently using it for, so that we can provide suggestions with enough information to provide you with meaningful help.

D. January 12, 2021

Thanks for the helpful answer, now it is clearer to me that automation is more comprehensive than workflow.

I know JIRA only as a ticket system from a previous company. However, I find it hard to get started with Jira. I don't know the difference between Jira Classic and Jira Next-Gen.

I might have to start learning about workflows. However, I can't get along with the help function at all. For example, when I type in "workflow", I get numerous search results that all look the same somehow. This puts me off a lot.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/search/?queryString=workflow

Is there a tutorial somewhere with examples? - I would like to create a workflow as described above in JIRA.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

If you go to the home page for this community, you should see a link for training videos above the content list.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software/ct-p/jira-software

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 8.58.49 AM.pngThere are also tutorial videos available on YouTube.

There is also an extensive vendor documentation library.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/resources/

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events