How can I use parallel sprints?

Carlo Markaban September 16, 2018

I'd like to use parallel sprints so I followed the instructions on: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/using-parallel-sprints-797737030.html

However, when I start another sprint; I still get the message 'Can be planned but not started until the completion of above sprint'.

Do I miss something?

11 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Grzegorz Kurek September 18, 2018

Just noticed, it does not work in the new agile project. If you use the classic scrum the parallel sprints work just fine. 

Create new project and use the classic scrum board template.

Carlo Markaban September 19, 2018

Thanks for the solution.

1 vote
Answer accepted
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2019

Unfortunately, not developed yet @Chetan 

Here's the Jira issue to vote/watch for updates to getting parallel sprints in Next Gen projects: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17195

Nathan March 17, 2020

Any time this feature will be on @carolyn french ? Any other way-round to do so?

Des.V.Foppiano April 8, 2020

Any time frames on getting parallel sprints going in Jira Cloud?  Really need this especially in a pandemic world with teams all over the globe.  Please make this a priority.

Like Dickson Cheung likes this
somitra gupta June 16, 2020

So fthe feature to run parallel sprints is not available in JIRA cloud?

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

It's available in classic projects, but not next-gen project in Jira Cloud

Jayson Patrick May 30, 2021

That's just so rubbish it's not available.  How long does it take Atlassian to get the Classic project features to work on the Next-gen?  How hard can it be???

3 votes
Aymii Couzelis April 26, 2019

Same here.  Been trying to figure this out all morning.  Glad I found this thread.  I can't switch back to the old projects because the Roadmap add-on we use doesn't work with those formats, but we *really* need the parallel sprint feature and use Jira cloud with next-gen projects.  So basically we're screwed right now I think.  :-/ 

Arunkumar May 9, 2019

Still not working when enabling the parallel Sprint option,Please help

1 vote
Pixel Plus Events April 15, 2019

Hello, is there anyone who have solve the problem? Same issue here. 

1 vote
Grzegorz Kurek September 18, 2018

Hi,

I'm testing Jira for task managing at my firm and we have the same issue. "Parallel sprints" setting does nothing, still can't start a new sprint without closing previous.

Without it this soft is basically useless for us.

D K January 14, 2019

Can you advise the steps to activate the parallel sprints in Business and Next Gen projects?

Thanks,

Kumar

Like # people like this
Verona Fule March 20, 2019

We would also need the Parallel Sprints to work for next-gen projects. Kindly advise if there's already a plan to deliver this and the timeframe. Thanks

Like Anaelle Pin likes this
1 vote

Btw, I'm using the cloud version of Jira software.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

Hi @Carlo Markaban 

Are you using a Next-Gen project? 

If so, parallel sprints are not yet an available feature for Next-Gen.  Please see this suggestion to add the feature, which you can vote for:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17195

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
karen clark buchanan March 17, 2020

You really need better documentation and some scenarios for how to set up the parallel sprints.  the instructions are minimal at best.

I want to run my current maintenance project at 4 weeks and my next gen project for 2 week cycles. I want to be able to see alignment, calendar, and overlap, etc.

That currently isn't possible right? It's hard to tell without trial and error and that just causes a creating a bunch of junk.

I am a fairly new user, so I may be overlooking some obviousness.

0 votes
santosh.parab@infosys.com January 8, 2020

Yes... As right explain there us scenario and project requirement where multiple teams works on multiple development efforts parallel. so we need to activate parallel sprints accordingly. This can be done via below.

1. Login as Jira Admin user

2. Click on "setting" icon located at right hand site of corner -> then click on "Applications" -> then click on "Jira Software configuration" -> in Features enable tick on "Parallel Sprints".

Thats it. :) Enjoy!!!!!!

Nathan March 17, 2020

Hi Santosh...Like it notes above, even though you tick the parallel sprints, it doesn't work in the next-gen 

Like mvaldivia.la likes this
0 votes
Chetan June 17, 2019

I am facing the same issue with the next gen project. It will be great if someone can provide a solution

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2018

Hello, 

Go to Jira Settings -> Applications -> Jira Software Configuration and enable the Parallel Sprints option.

Thanks Alexey, As I mentioned I already followed these steps. However it doesn't work.

Like # people like this
Lacy Saute October 15, 2019

I am using a Classic Software project, have enabled the Parallel Sprints option. However, I still don't see an option to run parallel sprints. Any suggestions?

Suggest an answer